Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq pipeline on Ion-Proton data

Hi I am a rookie bioinformatics who will process the rna-seq from Ion-proton(Single-ended).
    The pipeline for processing which I know until now is
    Bowtie, Tophat, Cufflinks, and cummeRbund for RNA-seq alignment, assembly, DE analysis, and .visualization.
    Any other options?
    Or What is this advantage or disadvantage of this pipeline?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by super0925; 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM.

There is a link a the Ion Community that describes a pipeline. You have to register, but it is free.

It uses a combination of Bowtie2 and Tophat2

I added a step to filter reads with Bowtie2. I used a filter file that I used to use with SOLiD data (ribosomes, adapters, tRNAs and such).

Brian

Comment

Thank you! I got it.
      But this pipeline which is suitable for Proton data is only reach the mapping and assemble. So after that steps which pipeline is more suitable? I mean for the differential analysis?
      Cufflinks or Deseq or EdgeR? Do you have any recommendation ?
      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BrianJames View Post
        There is a link a the Ion Community that describes a pipeline. You have to register, but it is free.

It uses a combination of Bowtie2 and Tophat2

I added a step to filter reads with Bowtie2. I used a filter file that I used to use with SOLiD data (ribosomes, adapters, tRNAs and such).

Brian
        Thank you! I got it.
        But this pipeline which is suitable for Proton data is only reach the mapping and assemble. So after that steps I got the bam file, then which pipeline is more suitable? I mean for the differential analysis?
        Cufflinks or Deseq or EdgeR? Do you have any recommendation ?
        Cheers
        Last edited by super0925; 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I use Cuffdiff in cufflinks2. It's pretty straight forward, but I can see if I can find the command I ran on Tuesday, if you need it.
          Brian

Comment

I use Cuffdiff in cufflinks2. It's pretty straight forward, but I can see if I can find the command I ran on Tuesday, if you need it.
            Brian
            Thank you Brian! Cuffdiff is really good but so far I don't know hot to compare the achievement between different methods (i.e. which is more suitable for the Proton data)
            Last edited by super0925; 02-16-2014, 03:04 AM.

Comment

You might want to take a look at this thread.
              Application of sequencing to RNA analysis (RNA-Seq, whole transcriptome, SAGE, expression analysis, novel organism mining, splice variants)

I know I will look at it more when I get the chance. I must admit that I like Cuffdiff because since I've already installed cufflinks2 it is a simple linux command. To address your question (not answer it), once you have your read data aligned, I don't think the Proton platform is going to impact performance of differential expression options. I would like to work with the best package out there, but they all work pretty good, and are mostly impact statistical significance calculations. INMHO, good starting material (RNA quality), a well designed assay, and good biological replicates will have a much bigger impact on the quality of the eventual results.

Brian

Comment

You might want to take a look at this thread.
                Application of sequencing to RNA analysis (RNA-Seq, whole transcriptome, SAGE, expression analysis, novel organism mining, splice variants)

I know I will look at it more when I get the chance. I must admit that I like Cuffdiff because since I've already installed cufflinks2 it is a simple linux command. To address your question (not answer it), once you have your read data aligned, I don't think the Proton platform is going to impact performance of differential expression options. I would like to work with the best package out there, but they all work pretty good, and are mostly impact statistical significance calculations. INMHO, good starting material (RNA quality), a well designed assay, and good biological replicates will have a much bigger impact on the quality of the eventual results.

Brian
                Thank you Brian! So nice you are!

Comment

For DE analysis I would definitely recommend using multiple methods, e.g. cuffdiff, EdgeR, etc. BitSeq looks nice and I heard a talk about CASPAR which looks nice. They each use a different model to approximate the distribution of read counts, so they each give a different answer. It is worth trying several and taking the union/intersection.

Comment

Our initial attempts at using Tophat2/Bowtie2 to map Ion Torrent RNAseq data were pretty disappointing (~30% aligned) and turned out to be biased against alignment of the longer reads (see attached image). Our average read length was ~75 bases, and longest ~150+ bases. This bias may be due to fixed penalties applied for gaps/mismatches per read rather than as a fraction of read length.

We had much better success with GSNAP (~70% alignment) and have used HTseq-count and DESeq for our differential expression analysis. Gene lengths and RPKMs can easily be calculated separately if required.

It is also worth noting that the second stage of the protocol at http://ioncommunity.lifetechnologies.com/docs/DOC-7062 will not add back any reads that should align over exon junctions. One might therefore get an underestimate of these positions.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mbzmg1; 05-29-2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

BBMap should be ideal for mapping Ion RNA-seq data. In my testing, it vastly outperforms GSNAP in all cases, and produces Tuxedo-compatible output.

If your reads are all shorter than 500bp, you can run it in normal mode; otherwise, you can run it in PacBio mode (with the script mapPacBio8k.sh).
                      Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 05-29-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                        BBMap should be ideal for mapping Ion RNA-seq data. In my testing, it vastly outperforms GSNAP in all cases, and produces Tuxedo-compatible output.

If your reads are all shorter than 500bp, you can run it in normal mode; otherwise, you can run it in PacBio mode (with the script mapPacBio8k.sh).
                        Hi Brian,
                        I think this is the link you want http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...568#post133568

Brian

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses