No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tophat2 Reporting output tracks bam_merge failed

Hello,

I have a problem with tophat reproting output tracks. It might be similar to the one reported here. http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24205.

However, in this thread the problem is solved with using tophat v2.0.6. In my case is is happening with exactly this version.
    Code:
    The error message is the following:
    [2012-11-15 13:32:17] Reporting output tracks
            [FAILED]
    Error running /ngsdata/ngs/tophat/tophat-2.0.6/tophat_reports --min-anchor 8 --splice-mismatches 0 --min-report-intron 50 --max-report-intron 10000 --min-isoform-fraction 0.15 --output-dir ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/ --max-multihits 1 --max-seg-multihits 10 --segment-length 25 --segment-mismatches 2 --min-closure-exon 100 --min-closure-intron 50 --max-closure-intron 5000 --min-coverage-intron 50 --max-coverage-intron 10000 --min-segment-intron 50 --max-segment-intron 10000 --read-mismatches 2 --read-gap-length 2 --read-edit-dist 2 --read-realign-edit-dist 3 --max-insertion-length 3 --max-deletion-length 3 -z gzip -p24 --inner-dist-mean 50 --inner-dist-std-dev 20 --gtf-annotations /home/jlinde/Gff/Aspergillus_fumigatusa1163.CADRE.15_cufflinks.gff --gtf-juncs ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/Aspergillus_fumigatusa1163.juncs --no-closure-search --no-coverage-search --no-microexon-search --sam-header ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/Aspergillus_fumigatusa1163.CADRE_genome.bwt.samheader.sam --samtools=/usr/bin/samtools --bowtie2-max-penalty 6 --bowtie2-min-penalty 2 --bowtie2-penalty-for-N 1 --bowtie2-read-gap-open 5 --bowtie2-read-gap-cont 3 --bowtie2-ref-gap-open 5 --bowtie2-ref-gap-cont 3 /ngsdata/ngs/bowtie/indexes_bowtie2/Aspergillus_fumigatusa1163.CADRE.fa ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/junctions.bed ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/insertions.bed ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/deletions.bed ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/fusions.out ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/accepted_hits ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/left_kept_reads.m2g.bam,./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/left_kept_reads.m2g_um.mapped.bam,./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/left_kept_reads.m2g_um.candidates ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/left_kept_reads.bam ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/right_kept_reads.m2g.bam,./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/right_kept_reads.m2g_um.mapped.bam,./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/right_kept_reads.m2g_um.candidates ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/right_kept_reads.bam
    Error: bam_merge failed to open BAM file ./tophat_D6T90_R1_PE100_trimmed/tmp/right_kept_reads.m2g_um.candidates1.bam
    I've tried using --keep-tmp an the file bam_merge fails to open, does exist.

I am using a bunch of paired-end data, 100 bp, with ~20 Mio read pairs. Has been working fine for 28 out of 29 samples.

complete call looks like that:
    Code:
    tophat2 -G mygff .gff -g 1 --no-mixed --no-discordant -p 24 --b2-very-sensitive -o tophat_a myindex  a1.fq a.fq

Short update:

works perfectly with tophat1 /bowtie 1 and tophat2.04 /bowtie2.0.0-beta5

Comment

Edden, did you ever figure out the problem? I am getting the same error for all of my samples, 50bp single read (using tophat-2.0.6, and Bowtie 2.0.2 and Bowtie 0.12.8). I haven't tried tophat2.04 with bowtie2.00-beta5 yet - that's my next step.

Comment

Hi,

no final solution, but we figured out the number of parallel processes might be a problem (-p parameter). Tophat2 produces as many temporary bam files as processors your are using. It might happen that bammerge finally fails with too many files.
        Unfortunately, I cannot give a maximal number of processors. In my case it worked with 12, but didn't work with 24. Think it depends on the size of the input (fastq) files.

Also using less processors is surprisingly faster in computation.

Comment

tophat confused by multiple fastq files

Hi, I got both tophat2 and earlier versions working after I merged my fastq files. It looks like the program was interpreting multiple files as PE files, and seeing errors when they weren't actually pairs. Also, I agree tophat worked better after I decreased the -p to 8.

Comment

Thanks for this post!

I was trying to align 76base single reads using Tophat v2.0.7 and Bowtie 2.0.6 and was getting the BAM merge error. I could get it to work on my iMac with 3 cores bit not on my Linux server with 30 cores. I set the alignment on the linux server to 12 cores and it works, brilliant!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
              by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
              05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
            • seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 05-07-2024, 06:57 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 05-06-2024, 07:17 AM
            0 responses