Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does velvet generate different assemblies from the same input data and same velvet pa

Hi all,

I am using four different libraries of read size 76bps, insert sizes are 300bps, 1kb, 8kb and 12kb. Expected genome size is 80MB.

I am running velvet using these four libraries. Actually I tried velvet first for different k-mers and then for the best k-mer I tried different cov_cutoffs. In all these assemblies from same k-mer (69) with different cov_cutoffs, I used the same Roadmap and Sequences files from the initial velveth run (K-mer 69 and cov_cutoff default).

Surprisingly I got 10MB of N50 and 23MB of largest scaffold size using cov_cutoff of 12 (median coverage is 30.76 in Log file) on the previously generated Roadmap and Sequences files. Then later I tried all new assembly from the same reads, K-mer 69 and cov_cutoff 12, now my N50 is 2MB and largest scaffold size is 6.78 MB.

Later I tried the same input files and same velvet parameters and I figured out that velveth is generating different Roadmap file for the same k-mer 69, for all three runs. What could be the reason behind this? In this case it is not possible to regenerate the results.

My question is, does velvet generates different assemblies from the same data and with same parameters?

I would really appriciate your response on this.

Best regards,
    Rahul
    Rahul Sharma,
    Ph.D
    Frankfurt am Main, Germany

I saw something about this issue on the velvet-users email list a while back - check out the thread titled "Deterministic?":

Comment

This was answered on biostars, for reference. It is related to OpenMP, and you can be certain of the results if you set the thread level to one.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses