SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In the SAM format, how the POS field affected by insertion and deletion blaboon Bioinformatics 7 01-09-2015 05:23 PM
Are intron size and softclipped reads included in TLEN field of SAM format? okyoon Bioinformatics 2 07-17-2012 03:47 PM
SAM format. Strange encoding in QUAL field -no ASCII tomjan Bioinformatics 9 04-26-2012 08:08 AM
SAM Format - SEQ field '=' Bio.X2Y Bioinformatics 3 04-25-2012 05:26 AM
Looking process to convert gff3 format into ace format or sam format andylai Bioinformatics 1 05-17-2011 03:09 AM

Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 AM   #1
dovah

Default sam format: SEQ field

Hi

I have a question regarding SAM format. What does it represent the field $10 (SEQ)? Checking SAM format manual (https://samtools.github.io/hts-specs/SAMv1.pdf), if I get it right, SEQ is the sequence of the aligned portion of the read, counting alignment matches and insertions from CIGAR field ($6). So if I count the number of characters in this field ($10), I can get the length of the mapped fragment of the read, isn't it? If I wanted to calculate the reference length at the mapping site, I should in this case sum the alignment matches and deletions from CIGAR field ($6), right? So what does the TLEN field ($9) represents?

Thanks in advance
dovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

tlen is for paired reads; it indicates the total length of the original fragment, if the reads map in a properly paired configuration. To calculate the length of an alignment, you need to add all the symbols except for insertions (I) and potentially clipping (S/H).
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, format, sam