No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High concentration of read errors in reverse orientation reads

Hi,

I have a bizarre problem with what looks like read errors that occur predominantly at the end of reverse orientation reads (i.e. at the read start on forward orientation). My reads are 101bp single end RNASeq reads from a large number of different barley samples. I have quality trimmed the reads from each sample using the standard cutoff of 20 and mapped them to my reference (full length cDNA sequences) with Bowtie1, then deduplicated each mapping and merged them all into a single BAM file.

I have attached a Tablet screenshot showing what's going on. I have looked through a large subset of the different reference sequences in my mapping and it's very obvious that the read errors are concentrated at the end of the reverse reads, like in the screenshot (blue = reverse, green = forward). There is no equivalent of this in the forward orientation reads.

The base qualities of the mismatched bases in the reverse reads are all in the range of 30-35, i.e. they are supposedly good base calls, so there is no problem with the trimming here. A FASTQC image of the base qualities is also attached, and it does look like the read quality at the read start is relatively poor, but it's still well in the green zone. Also, if this was the problem, it should affect forward orientation reads too.

Could this be a base call calibration problem? If it was, then why would it only affect the reverse reads?

thanks

Micha
    Attached Files

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses