No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get rid of singletones

Hi everyone,
    After mining the file 454NewblerMetrics.txt I found 134002 singletones my question is whether this number sounds normal?? and how to get rid of these? with which tool?

thanks in advance,
    Last edited by nicedad; 08-19-2011, 12:47 AM.

That number doesn't sound too bad. Looking at a recent run we had 720K reads of which 240K were singletons and the most of the rest collapsed into assemblies.

As for how to get rid of them, look at the 454ReadStatus.txt file. From that you can separate the reads into Assembled, Partially Assembled, Singletons, etc.

Comment

Thanks westerman. my problem is I could not figure out the principle of how to get rid of these from the 454Allcontigs file? I mean, what is the correlation between singletons in 454ReadStatus and 454Allcontigs since the later one will be used for further analysis.
      Ok, I separated them (with grap) but what I got are only the name of all singletons and not sequences!!
      sorry unconveniece as am getting my feet wet in this domain.

However, how is the wether in Indiana right now, I was a grad student in Indy!!

Comment

You are in luck: singletons (sequences, that is) are not included in any if the output files, so no need to remove them...

Comment

really? this are good news. thanks flxlex.

Comment

I meant to reply but the weekend got in the way. flxlex is correct in that the Singletons are not included in the 454AllContigs file. In fact for our customers we make up a new file that includes both the contigs and the singletons so that they have a "one stop" method of seeing all of their relevant data. After all just because a read is classified as a Singleton because it can not align with any other read does not make the Singleton read irrelevant.

Comment

Agree with other experts. Singletons are single people (reads), who did not find some other read to marry. That does not make them bad people (reads) by any measure.

Do you want to eliminate them all? What kind of world will that be like?
              http://homolog.us

Comment

Originally posted by samanta View Post
                Agree with other experts. Singletons are single people (reads), who did not find some other read to marry. That does not make them bad people (reads) by any measure.

Do you want to eliminate them all? What kind of world will that be like?
                If singletones are useful, they would not be removed from 454Allcontigs file!
                Furthermore, I wana remove them because this is done in the almost manuscrits of this area of research, if you want I can post some.

However, does anyone know how to get their weight (Mb)?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses