No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq bio-replication with low correlation

Hi!
    I sequeced two biological replicates for one condition with Hiseq 2000 platfom.
    but the typical R(Pearson) correlation of gene expression(Raw Count) between two biological replicates is only 0.93, ie the R2 only about 0.87.
    Can I use these 2 samples to do the differencial analysis?
    Any suggestion for how to use this to call DE genes?
    Or some recommend readings are also very helpful.

Thanks all.

Sure, that's certainly a high enough correlation (to be frank, I wouldn't bother calculating that, just cluster the samples).

For calling DE genes, give DESeq2 or edgeR or limma/voom a try.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      Sure, that's certainly a high enough correlation (to be frank, I wouldn't bother calculating that, just cluster the samples).

For calling DE genes, give DESeq2 or edgeR or limma/voom a try.
      hi dpryan,
      thank you for your reply,
      I have read an artical for rnaseq written by ENCODE (the title is Standards, Guidelines and Best Practices for RNA-Seq),and they suguest that "A typical R2(Pearson) correlation of gene expression(RPKM) between two biological replicates, for RNAs that are detected in both samplesusing RPKM orread counts, should be between 0.92 to 0.98. Experiments with biological correlations that fall below 0.9 should be either be repeated or explained."
      so I am very abset about my data. are you sure about R=0.93 is high enough for RNAseq? then I can go on my work.
      thanks.

Comment

Note firstly that they talk about RPKM correlation, which will be different from raw counts.

Secondly, ENCODE's recommendations are just that, recommendations. That don't apply to every experiment and will often be useless in a given circumstance (and anyway, your correlation coefficient is in the range mentioned). Keep in mind also that they mostly use cell lines, so if you have different source material then such a high correlation might be impossibly high.

Comment

oh, I see,
          thank you very much!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses