No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina vs. Agilent Exome enrichment - higher false positive rates

Hello,

We are sequencing whole exomes (human) using an Illumina HiSeq2000. We previously did sample prep and exome enrichment using the Agilent SureSelect Human All Exon Kit. Recently we switched to the Illumina sample prep and exome enrichment kits, however we observed a dramatic increase in false positive SNP calls (the analysis pipeline is the same).

Has anybody else compared Agilent and Illumina exome enrichments and observed similar problems?

Thanks for any comments.

markusl

Seconding this question! I'm in a lab that's just starting to get involved with whole exome sequencing, and I haven't been able to find any quality comparisons of the different exome capture methods. Any advice/experiences people have had with them would be awesome.

Comment

Several major papers on this topic will be coming out shortly. Be on the lookout in Genome Biology as well as others for bakeoff studies.

Comment

If you are going to analyze multiple, unrelated exomes, you can simply filter out variants that appear in more than X % of the exomes. Granted, you won't get any information from those specific bases, so you have to consider if that is worthwhile (ie, if you are studying a rare Mendelian disease you will probably be fine; if you are studying other more common things and intend to do association tests of some sort then you probably don't want to filter out the common variants.

Comment

Yes, analyzing multiple samples could help. However we also would be interested if the sample prep method from illumina is somewhat more errorprone compared to Agilent - in that case it would be better to stay with Agilent. Then we have less problems downstream.

Thanks for any replies so far...

markusl

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive.

In particular note the comparisons between exome-seq and WGS in the end. Not a substantially higher false positive rate in either.
            Last edited by Michael.James.Clark; 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM.
            Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
            Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
            Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

Comment

I love when two papers get published on exactly the topic I need just as I decide I need to research it. Thanks to both of you!

Comment

Quick question. I'm still trying to decide between the three exome capture methods. Am I right in thinking that the Illumina kit offers substantially higher throughput (assuming we don't have access to robotics, etc.) because it supports multiplexing before the enrichment protocol? Or is this also possible with the Agilent and Nimblegen kits?

Comment

I am sharing a publication link on Performance comparison of four exome capture systems for deep sequencing. This is might be useful as a very quick reference, I guess. Thanks to the authors.

https://bmcgenomics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2164-15-449

Please do share if any further useful information is available.

Comment

Originally posted by prathima View Post
                    I am sharing a publication link on Performance comparison of four exome capture systems for deep sequencing. This is might be useful as a very quick reference, I guess. Thanks to the authors.

https://bmcgenomics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2164-15-449

Please do share if any further useful information is available.
                    I've been hearing good things as of late about IDT's exome kit (not tested in the above comparison)...maybe someone might want to comment?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses