Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I use chrM,random and haploid fasta file to build hg19?

Dear all,
    I have downloaded the hg19 from UCSC and want to combine all the chromosome together to generate the reference genome to be indexd in BWA. However, there are some files like chrUn_g*.fa, chr1_gl*_random.fa, and chrM.fa. Should I combine these files together with the autosome and X,Y
    chromosome or throw them away before build the reference genome?

Thanks a billion!

June

Use chr1-22,X,Y,M
    ...or ...
    Use them all except the hap ones!!!
    Either way is fine.

Many people stick with 1-22,X,Y,M to keep things simple.

The "hap" ones are alternate assemblies for certain regions.
    DO NOT USE THE *hap* files !!!!

Comment

Use this:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/1000genomes/f...k_v37.fasta.gz

If you prefer to build your own, include those _random.

Comment

Hi! I hardly recommended to use chrUn_g*.fa, chr1_gl*_random.fa, and chrM.fa for reducing miss alignment reads from these scaffolds.

Comment

Thanks a billion for the kindness and help from all of you. By the way, what are the exact meanings of the file chrUn_g*.fa, chr1_gl*_random.fa ?

Comment

Originally posted by mozart View Post
            Thanks a billion for the kindness and help from all of you. By the way, what are the exact meanings of the file chrUn_g*.fa, chr1_gl*_random.fa ?
            For what I know, these are the contigs of genome that are not quite sure the exact position. Because there are many factors effect the assembling of genome, so some contigs the consortium didn't integarate with whole genome, just labeled as chrUn_* (not sure which chromosome come from) or chr1_*_random (from chr1 already known). And for hg19, there are patches released when the consortium integerate the contig with genome (in hg19, the coordinates are reversed for contigs, so in the version hg19, the integeration doesn't effect the already sequence coordinates).
            More information you may check this:
            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects...initions.shtml

For what I checked, some chrUn contigs have also some variants of rRNAs or such things. But I think it is not a serious thing.
            Last edited by ishmael; 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM. Reason: typo revising

Comment

So grateful for your reply. Because I only need the count data but not the variants, the deletion of that random contigs might be better to avoid confusion.

Comment

more questions

what is hap region? thx

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses