X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwa mem segfault; bwa bwasw breaks MarkDuplicates

Hi,
    I have run into various problems with various versions of bwa
    1. bwa mem gives a segmentation fault right away. Not sure how to debug that, no matter what memory (we have 48G) and thread settings. Has anyone else run into this problem?
    The call to bwa is
    bwa-0.7.5a/bwa mem -M -R "@RG\tID:$ID\tLIB:SeqCapEZ.v3\tID:$ID\tPL:ILLUMINA" -t 24 ucsc.hg19.fasta $READS1 $READS2 > $ALN_OUT.sam

2. bwasw produces a file which does no work with MarkDuplicates.
    The call to bwa is
    /old_home/enabieva/bwa-0.7.5a/bwa mem -M -R "@RG\tID:$ID\tLIB:SeqCapEZ.v3\tID:$ID\tPL:ILLUMINA" -t 24 ucsc.hg19.fasta $READS1 $READS2 > $ALN_OUT.sam

The MarkDuplicates error is:
    Exception in thread "main" net.sf.picard.PicardException: Value was put into PairInfoMap more than once. 1: null:HWI-ST992:135:C0YGDACXX:2:1108:12651:98485

Grepping for that read brings up the following:
    HWI-ST992:135:C0YGDACXX:2:1108:12651:98485 113 chr1 564775
    0 43S47M chr2 55113029 0TATCGTC
    ACAGCCCATGCATTTGTAATAATCTTCTTCATAGTAATACCCATTACAATCTCCAGCATTCCCCCTCAAACCTAAGAAATATG
    @DDDDEDBDDDDCCDFFFFFEGHHHGHIIGII
    HJIIGGFGAGEGGBJIIGHFBJJGEHHJGGGCIIIJJJIGGIIHHHFFHHFDFDD@@@
    AS:i:47 XS:i:47 XF:i:1 XE:i:1 NM:i:0
    HWI-ST992:135:C0YGDACXX:2:1108:12651:98485 113 chr1 566621
    0 51M39S chr2 55113029 0TATCGTC
    ACAGCCCATGCATTTGTAATAATCTTCTTCATAGTAATACCCATTACAATCTCCAGCATTCCCCCTCAAACCTAAGAAATATG
    @DDDDEDBDDDDCCDFFFFFEGHHHGHIIGII
    HJIIGGFGAGEGGBJIIGHFBJJGEHHJGGGCIIIJJJIGGIIHHHFFHHFDFDD@@@
    AS:i:51 XS:i:51 XF:i:1 XE:i:1 NM:i:0
    HWI-ST992:135:C0YGDACXX:2:1108:12651:98485 145 chr2
    55113029 168 90M * 0 0TGAGCCA
    CCACGTCCAGCCCACTTTTTGATTTTCAAAGAGTCAGAGCCCCAAAATTCCATCTCTTCCTTGCCTCTCATCGTAGGGTTCAC
    A:<?@<,8<=DBA@@?==3;;BBFEE>HEEEH
    CAHG@HFFEEEE<GIGIIGHGJJIHF>BIIEIIHGJIIIGGCFD?HDGGGFDDFF@@@
    AS:i:90 XS:i:0 XF:i:3 XE:i:2 NM:i:0

So it seems that the problem is that the first read is mapped twice, but this is not marked in any way.

I found a discussion of this problem, but the suggested solution seems roundabout.
    Does anyone else encounter this?

Thanks,
    Elena
    Last edited by ElenaN; 06-13-2013, 03:24 AM. Reason: bad hyperlink format

Yes, I met exactly the same error with you. Although I used the -M option, it seems also not compatible well with picard. I'm looking forward to an effective solutions.
    Last edited by Zengquan; 06-29-2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

As far as I know the picard people are working with the bwa people to get the two programs to be more compatible. BWA MEM 0.7.4 should still work. The -M option is going to be gone and instead they are going to use a new flag which will have to be picked up by samtools and picard - but like I said they are all working together on this. I can't explain the seg-fault but I do know that the latest version of MEM has done away with what the -M option used to do. If you back up to a previous version of MEM it should still work. I'm using '0.7.4-r389-beta' and it mostly works. The bwa aln/sampe pipeline is broken in that it fails to properly annotate the 'XA' field of the alignments which triggers a bug in samtools if you attempt to run those alignments through it. However, that version's 'MEM' works perfectly for me (on Mac and Linux).
      /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
      Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses