No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSeqQC infer_experiment strandedness

Hi,

I am using RSeqQC infer_experiment.py to look at whether or not a library is stranded and I got the following results:

This is SingleEnd Data
    Fraction of reads failed to determine: 0.0242
    Fraction of reads explained by "++,--": 0.0398
    Fraction of reads explained by "+-,-+": 0.9360

What does this mean? it appears that the reads are mapping to the reverse complement strand relative to the gene, what kind of sequencing protocol would do this? Does it have a name?

Thanks for any help,
    Leanne

Hi Leanne,

The result shows you, that you have a stranded library. It also means, as you already said, that the reads are the reverse complement of the transcripts.
    A couple of library preps produce reads in that flavour:
    TruSeq stranded, ScriptSeq, Sense, ....
    Just use the strandedness as detected in your analyses (e.g. htseq-count ... -s reverse ..).
    Cheers,
    Michael

Comment

The "+-,-+" syntax is described here and has got to be about the most cryptic way of conveying things that's possible. What this means is that you have strand-specific data made with the dUTP method. This is the most common type these days and means that if you need to do counting, that you should use the "-s reverse" option in htseq-count or "-s 2" in featureCounts. If you happen to be using tophat2 for alignment, you want the "fr-firststrand" library type.

Edit: I should have refreshed, Michael beat me to it!

Comment

Thanks guys! this was very helpful! The paper says an Illumina TruSeq Stranded mRNA LT kit so based on what Michael said it is to be expected that the read are the reverse complement of the gene. Another sequencing set from the same paper ( which was also indicated to use the Illumina TruSeq Stranded mRNA kit) gave me the following RSeqQC results:

Fraction of reads explained by "++,--": 0.4775
        Fraction of reads explained by "+-,-+": 0.4956

Does this mean that maybe the strandedness part of the kit didn't work as well? Or maybe a non stranded kit was used?

Comment

Either the paper was wrong or their kit failed completely. My guess is that the paper was wrong and that they used an unstranded kit.

Comment

Thanks dpryan!

I do have another question if multiple alignments is specified in the bowtie alignment (-a) will infer_experiment be able to work correctly in predicting strandedness?

Comment

Most likely it'll still work, though the percentages will be different.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses