Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the information.

well - the stuff with installing as a normal user is clear. However, it's not only the security issue. You may call me neurotic but I'm simply annoyed if a software creates some ugly folder structures where I don't want them ^^

Comment

Originally posted by schmima View Post

well - the stuff with installing as a normal user is clear. However, it's not only the security issue. You may call me neurotic but I'm simply annoyed if a software creates some ugly folder structures where I don't want them ^^
      agreed! I decide on my machine how things should be organized!

YMMV, but the version I installed created a "Tablet" folder in my home directory (where all the stuff goes), and asked me where a good place for a symlink to the start script would be (I have ~/bin/ in PATH, so I selected that)... You can move that around as you like.
      I think they do the installer thing to keep the entry barrier really low for lab folks, not to clog up your file system.

Comment

ah - thanks a lot for the information

*edit - as far as I know our lab people, it does not really matter what you give them and how easy you make it (only Win/Apple users)

Comment

Originally posted by schmima View Post

So you don't like RPMs or apt bundles either then?

Iain
          Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

Comment

Originally posted by imilne View Post
            So you don't like RPMs or apt bundles either then?

Iain
            When those come from the typical, trusted repositories, they don't create ugly folder structures, because they don't need to (they know where to put things) - quick-hack installer scripts tend to to create such ugly folder structures inside user folders, though...

Comment

Originally posted by arvid View Post
              When those come from the typical, trusted repositories, they don't create ugly folder structures, because they don't need to (they know where to put things) - quick-hack installer scripts tend to to create such ugly folder structures inside user folders, though...
              So what constitutes an 'ugly' folder structure then? Tablet creates just one top-level folder, called funnily enough, Tablet. Whether you put that in your home folder (non root user) or somewhere else on your file system (as root) is entirely up to you. As far as I'm aware, the only other files the installer creates relates to the shortcuts/symlinks. It's made with install4j, and is certainly *not* a quick-hack script.

The installer application allows us to build bundles for all platforms with the minimum of fuss, and also bundle Java too which massively reduces the burden on your 'average' user. Other than using a bit more disk space (a non issue with today's hard drives), that Java doesn't interfere with any other version that might be on your system. And bar one or two exceptions, our end users generally haven't had a problem getting Tablet installed and running. In my experience that's pretty rare in the world of bioinformatics, where quick-hack scripts are often the order of the day.

Iain

Comment

Originally posted by imilne View Post
                So what constitutes an 'ugly' folder structure then? Tablet creates just one top-level folder, called funnily enough, Tablet. Whether you put that in your home folder (non root user) or somewhere else on your file system (as root) is entirely up to you. As far as I'm aware, the only other files the installer creates relates to the shortcuts/symlinks. It's made with install4j, and is certainly *not* a quick-hack script.

The installer application allows us to build bundles for all platforms with the minimum of fuss, and also bundle Java too which massively reduces the burden on your 'average' user. Other than using a bit more disk space (a non issue with today's hard drives), that Java doesn't interfere with any other version that might be on your system. And bar one or two exceptions, our end users generally haven't had a problem getting Tablet installed and running. In my experience that's pretty rare in the world of bioinformatics, where quick-hack scripts are often the order of the day.

Iain
                The ugly-folder stuff wasn't about Tablet, actually I don't mind the Tablet installer at all. I wish more bioinformatic software came with installer packages, or even better would be supplied through repositories (and thus could be updated in a coordinated fashion on standard OS distributions). Did you consider either feeding Tablet into major Linux repositories or hosting your own repositories for the major Linux distributions?

What I mean with "ugly folder structure" is when quick-hack-scripts (I'm not referring to Tablet here) create all sorts of folders for "databases", "user files", "downloaded files" etc. (usually with non-locale-aware names) in the home directory.

Comment

@ imilne

I would not say, that I don't like automated installation - I just like to know before starting a script, what it will try to do and if I have to pass on some configuration arguments on the command line.

In your case the installer is perfectly fine - but as you said - this is rather an exception than a rule.

* edit
                  @ arvid
                  yep - that's exactly what I meant with the ugly folder structure
                  Last edited by schmima; 02-15-2012, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Did you consider either feeding Tablet into major Linux repositories or hosting your own repositories for the major Linux distributions?
                    It's one of those "would be nice to have, but we haven't the time to do it" things unfortunately. The last time I checked, 30% of Tablet's users are on Linux, so it's certainly a good chunk of people it could benefit. (The rest are 50% Windows, 20% OS X in case anyone was wondering).

What I mean with "ugly folder structure" is when quick-hack-scripts (I'm not referring to Tablet here) create all sorts of folders for "databases", "user files", "downloaded files" etc. (usually with non-locale-aware names) in the home directory.
                    Actually, now that you mention it, Tablet does also create some settings files that go in a folder called .scri-bioinf (in your home folder). But they pretty much have to go there because we can't be sure the install folder is writable (eg Program Files on Windows with UAC, etc).

Iain

Comment

• Originally posted by imilne View Post
                      Actually, now that you mention it, Tablet does also create some settings files that go in a folder called .scri-bioinf (in your home folder). But they pretty much have to go there because we can't be sure the install folder is writable (eg Program Files on Windows with UAC, etc).
                      I don't mind the ".<software>" folders, that's standard, as long as your updater (or the software itself) also makes sure to upgrade existing user settings, if needed for a newer version, and doesn't just overwrite them.

Comment

• problem in @SQ lines

Originally posted by agc View Post
                        Yes, there was a problem with the BAM file - several sequence names were left blank (due to my reference fasta file including a space between the '>' sign and the sequence name - IE '> chr07' instead of '>chr07'), and therefore were seen as duplicates.

Thanks!
                        Hi ,
                        What did you do to clean your bam file?
                        I also have problem of duplicate lines in @SQ lines of bam header. Because of that I can not add Read groups to bam file.
                        Please help me?

Deeps

Comment

• You can easily remove duplicated header elements:
                          samtools view -H input.bam | uniq >header.txt
                          After that extract body:
                          samtools view input.bam >body.txt

And create a new bam file:
                          cat header.txt body.txt | samtools view -S -b - >new.bam

If the @SQ tags are not near, use ReorderSam from Picard.

Comment

• Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by TiborNagy View Post
                              You can easily remove duplicated header elements:
                              samtools view -H input.bam | uniq >header.txt
                              After that extract body:
                              samtools view input.bam >body.txt

And create a new bam file:
                              cat header.txt body.txt | samtools view -S -b - >new.bam

If the @SQ tags are not near, use ReorderSam from Picard.
                              As a brief aside, I tend to use pipes for these sort of things to improve caching and avoid temporary files. Eg

(samtools view -H input.bam | uniq; samtools view input.bam ) | samtools view -S -b - > new.bam

The use of bracketting to create subshells and join the output together again before piping is a very useful trick.

Programs that don't support pipes can often be fooled via use of FIFOs (mknod p or mkfifo) provided they don't seek. Bash even has some cryptic >(cmd) and <(cmd) syntax to hide it all away too. :-)

Comment

• Would like to see a version that works in an android tablet

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses