SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AmpliSeq Cancer Panel SarahNGS Ion Torrent 10 10-01-2012 09:21 AM
Illumina Cancer Panel problems dhinerfeld Illumina/Solexa 0 06-20-2012 12:26 PM
The Drosophila melanogaster Genetic Reference Panel adaptivegenome Literature Watch 0 02-10-2012 09:24 AM
PubMed: Expanding DNA diagnostic panel testing: is more better? Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 09-11-2011 08:40 AM
PubMed: Methylation profiling with a panel of cancer related genes: Association with Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-08-2011 02:10 AM

Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
bartekd

Default cancer panel on miseq

hi there
I am clnical oncologist looking for a way to improve diagnostics department in my cancer center and I was wondering
what is more cost effective for doing cancer research only ? miseq or hiseq?
is illumina providing end to end expierence or is there any additional software needed ?
last but not least ? what kind of personel would be inexpensable to run hiseq/miseq platform ?

thanks in advance
bartekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Bukowski

I'm not sure that there is an end to end solution for the HiSeq. The TruSeq Amplicon Cancer Panel seems to be designed to run on the MiSeq, with some on machine data analysis.

As someone who analyses cancer panel data from HiSeq and MiSeq (we have designed our own panels for running) the MiSeq per-base costs are higher, but to make the HiSeq cost effective you have to make sure it is running at capacity (or that you are sharing a machine that is operating close to capacity).

Additional software could be anything from aligners, to variant callers to automated annotation. Clinical interpretation of the results are something else entirely.

I work for a company that would allow you to outsource such a service, obviously this means you don't then have the equipment/setup/staff costs associated with the service. We have HiSeq/MiSeq and experience in cancer profiling on a number of capture technologies. Message me if you're interested in knowing more.
Bukowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
kwaraska

Default Qiagen new product

Qiagen just released a product that is 124 genes with subsets available-specifically cancer panels-that generate PCR products that can then be made into libraries for MiSeq or HiSeq.

I have not used it myself as it just released last week.

You would need someone and/or robot to construct libraries.
Then a Technician to run the MiSeq or HiSeq. The MiSeq is very user friendly while the HiSeq takes some cajoling to work right. Also, you need 7 (or 8 if you don't run a control lane) samples to run a HiSeq flow cell. Probably your best bet would be a HiSeq 2500 which runs a "single" lane flow cell. It is actually 2 lanes but there are ways around that. They run with the speed of a MiSeq but the density of a HiSeq lane.
Then you would need an informatics person to determine what all the data means.
kwaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
bartekd

hey bukowski if you're still interested in helping me please enable msg link so i can email you or msg me yourself
bartekd is offline   Reply With Quote