SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The NEXTflex™ PCR-Free DNA Sequencing Kit Reduces Bias in NGS Library Prep Bioo Scientific Vendor Forum 10 12-20-2012 07:10 AM
RNASeq removing PCR bias schaffer Bioinformatics 3 10-20-2011 06:00 PM
DNA amount for making Lib-L from PCR fragment knakahig 454 Pyrosequencing 0 02-24-2011 04:24 AM
PCR bias by backfolding amplicons Sebastian123 Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 02-09-2011 03:10 AM
Number of PCR How many PCR cycles to enrich adapter-modified DNA fragments MGH Man Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 07-26-2010 05:15 AM

Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
prepagam

Default Lib prep - Splitting PCR to reduce PCR bias

I want to reduce my high levels of duplicate reads (>50%) in my illumina HiSeq 100bp Paired end sequences.
The normal solutions aren't possible as I am using the max DNA available per sample (80-200ng), and only with 10-12 PCR cycles, my library is strong enough to sequence.

I wondered if I could reduce PCR bias by splitting the PCR into two tubes, and then pool after PCR? This idea is based on the assumption that the bias generated by PCR is random, and therefore different PCRs will over/under represent different parts of the genome.

A similar approach is used in some protocols for RADseq - but their library prep does differ.
prepagam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
kcchan

How much library are you getting with 10 cycles of PCR? 100ng of DNA should get you plenty of library for sequencing. You should double check your upstream steps to ensure everything is working efficiently, especially the adapter ligation.

If you're running the cBot instruments internally, there are also tricks to load your samples starting with less than 1nM of DNA library.

Another question is how you're determining the duplication rate? Some programs such as fastqc do not accurately determine the duplication rate.
kcchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
kmcarr

What is your source DNA material?
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duplicate reads, library preparation, pcr bias