No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TruSeq Small RNA

Hi guys,

Has anyone used the new TruSeq SmallRNA kit from Illumina? Does it only require ONE day to complete the protocol?

Regards.

It can be done in a day. The rate limiting step is the gel purification and then the validation.

If you use the indexing it allows you to purify more libraries per gel which can save some time.

Comment

TruSeq small RNA- sample prep

Hi,

has anyone ever tried to use small RNA as starting material? What small RNA concentration is suggest?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by vvendr View Post
        Hi,

has anyone ever tried to use small RNA as starting material? What small RNA concentration is suggest?

Thanks
        Hi,

I've been using only small RNA fraction as starting material; but not with small RNA kits (truseq, neb,...), I did it with a more traditional approach. I did get better results than with total RNA as a starting material. The amount of small RNA?... I'm not sure; I just tried to obtain the 20 ug of total RNA (that most of the kits recommends) from the extraction and then isolated only the fraction that I needed.

Comment

Hi,

I was actually wondering how mauch smallRNA I need to start, if I have smallRNA extracted without previous totalRNA isolation.

Comment

Hi,
            Have you seen artifact sequences "CCACGTTCCCGTGG" in TruSeq Small RNA system?
            I often found this sequence in TruSeq SmRNA system, not in old Small RNA System (v1 & v1.5).

Comment

A protocol I am testing says 1 to 10 ng of small RNA or 1 ug of total RNA.

Comment

Finally, I asked directly to Illumina tech-support, and the answer was 20-50 ng. So, I used that siRNA initial amount and it worked!

Comment

Could you elaborate a bit on how the results with small RNA are better than with total RNA?Thanks.

Originally posted by cascoamarillo View Post
                  Hi,

I've been using only small RNA fraction as starting material; but not with small RNA kits (truseq, neb,...), I did it with a more traditional approach. I did get better results than with total RNA as a starting material. The amount of small RNA?... I'm not sure; I just tried to obtain the 20 ug of total RNA (that most of the kits recommends) from the extraction and then isolated only the fraction that I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by CC_seqanswers View Post
                    Could you elaborate a bit on how the results with small RNA are better than with total RNA?Thanks.
                    Hi,

MY results were better with the small RNA fractionated sampled than with total. How? I'm not sure; the only thing I know is at the final step, the PCR amplification, I obtained better and clear band (around 100bp) with the size selected material.
                    Best

Comment

could you elaborate on the more traditional approach you took to getting your small rna fraction? All our preps have come from total rna and we never get a defined peak in the size select area, we always get a smear unfortunately. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chaos81 View Post
                        could you elaborate on the more traditional approach you took to getting your small rna fraction? All our preps have come from total rna and we never get a defined peak in the size select area, we always get a smear unfortunately. thanks
                        What I did was to size select the RNA fraction: 15-20% PAGE in denaturing contitions, cut the gel band (15-25 or 20 -35; it depends what it's for); elute ON in salt solution and precipitate. And the size selected RNA is used for the library construction (3' ad ligation, etc...). Hope it helps.

Comment

Has anyone tried Truseq small RNA kit with <100ng total RNA input? We have some precious samples for microRNA study, but can't seem to find any kit on the market supporting such low input. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sterakura View Post
                            Hi,
                            Have you seen artifact sequences "CCACGTTCCCGTGG" in TruSeq Small RNA system?
                            I often found this sequence in TruSeq SmRNA system, not in old Small RNA System (v1 & v1.5).
                            Did you ever find out what this is? I am seeing it too in my TruSeq smRNA libraries.

Comment

I think when small RNA is used instead of total RNA then reagents are used more economically and with more good. And clear bands at the final step too.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses