SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
< Script to compute distribution length of sequences > Giorgio C Bioinformatics 8 08-23-2012 03:29 AM
What is the length limitation of sequences for newbler? ljhwahaha Bioinformatics 3 12-01-2010 08:18 AM
How to trim 454 low quality sequences biohumin Bioinformatics 4 07-13-2010 09:14 AM
program to find common secondary structure of RNA from many sequences zhlyang Bioinformatics 3 06-17-2010 08:10 PM
PubMed: PASS: a Program to Align Short Sequences. Newsbot! Bioinformatics 0 02-17-2009 06:00 AM

Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
ssully

Default Publication-quality graphics program for chromosome-length sequences?

I'm in dire need of free/cheap software that does something I think is simple, but seems to be rare (without paying through the nose).

I just want to be able to input a long sequence (or sequences) and a list of features and coordinates, and output a publication-quality graphic of the sequence as a line or rectangular box, with the features accurately mapped onto it as different shapes/colors. And I'd like the output to be proportional, so that if sequence A is 2 millions bases and sequence B is 1 million, the first line will be twice as long as the second.

Packages I've looked at so far, which seem geared for plasmids, fall down in one or more of these criteria. Any suggestions?
ssully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
wahoosteve

If you're comfortable with python scripting, you may be able to do something like this with the GenomeDiagram or BasicChromosome modules within the BioPython package (I haven't done this myself). http://news.open-bio.org/news/2011/1...-in-biopython/
wahoosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
ssully

I'm not (comfortable with python scripting) but thanks anyway.
ssully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
ECO
--Site Admin--

Try Genious. There is a free trial and in general it seems to handle visualization of features ON sequences pretty well.

A more difficult route is something like IGV where you can define your features in a bed file and view them in different ways.

Both these methods will at some point require a high-res screenshot for output as far as I know.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Jim Robinson

If you try IGV output the result as an SVG file (File > Save Image... -> type = svg).
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote