No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best RNAseq mapping tool for bacteria

Hi,

I am new to NGS data and am trying to find the best mapping tool for bacterial genome. My data consists of FASTQ files for paired end RNA-seq on Illumina. I have downloaded the reference genome from NCBI website (fasta file).
    So far I have identified a few softwares (MAQ, Tophat, BWA, Glimmer, SHRIMP...), but I don't know which one to choose.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
    S

Bacteria have almost no introns, so you are just mapping to the genome. And since the genome is so small, you can use as slow an algorithm as you like, it'll still be done pretty fast.

As long as it'll output .bam files, you'll probably be fine.

Comment

For aligning RNA-seq reads consider the following points

1) Paired-end or single-end sequencing?
      2) spliced reads?
      4) interested in finding novel transcripts?

I suggest subread (http://subread.sourceforge.net/) as it is fast, reported to be accurate and integrates within R environment.

Comment

Hi,
        Thx for your answers.

It is for pair end sequencing data with 75bp library.
        I will be looking at SNPs and differential expression data.
        I don't know exactly if there are many spliced read, but my guess would be very little as it's a bacteria.

I read a few papers on the subject and it seems that the quality of the reference genome is also important. How do I know if that condition is verified?

I will have a look at the R script
        Thank you!
        Last edited by sissi; 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Shrimp2 is easy to use and runs very well on several cores if you have them, so it is fairly quick. In my experience, it maps well too.

Comment

Shrimp2 is a good choice for bacterial genomes. For the genome quality you have to look into the publication which reported the genome.

Comment

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses