SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Only 2% mapped reads????? Jeannine Bioinformatics 2 01-25-2012 06:20 PM
Error during PicardMarkDuplicates (Illumina paired-ends mapped by Bfast) david.tamborero Bioinformatics 2 08-09-2011 02:08 AM
mapped reads or mappable reads for normalization?? dzavallo RNA Sequencing 0 05-19-2011 12:55 PM
Paired-end reads mapped 50% while each pair reads mapped 80% zack80.liu Bioinformatics 3 03-03-2011 02:06 AM
Combined mapping of RNA-Seq reads originating from multiple species schelhorn RNA Sequencing 7 11-05-2010 09:55 AM

Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
emorin

Default Can Illumina reads be mapped to a different species ?

Hello,

I'm working on fungi genomes and I was wondering if I could map Illumina reads from one species (A) to gene models from an other one (B)?
I have tried with maq with -n (Number of maximum mismatches) set to 9 for 63 bp reads and only 50 000 reads on 25 millions mapped to the gene models. I know that I have to consider mapping in non coding regions but still the number is very low.
Am I trying to do something dummy ?

The goal is to try to generate a set of gene models for A from B. While waiting for the genome assembly.

Thanks,

Emmanuelle
emorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
doc.ramses

I think it's worth a try. What about not mapping against the whole genome but only the conserved regions ? Don't know if this is a good idea or if you have the needed data for this. It's just a lucky guess, but maybe I can point you to the right direction.
doc.ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
colindaven

9 bp seems like a lot of error in a 63 bp read. Do you know how divergent the two genesets are ? Have you tried Blastn to test the divergence ?
How about BLASTn for 1000 reads to geneset B ?

Another approach might be to try de novo assembly of the reads, for example with Velvet, and then map them to geneset B.
colindaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
emorin

Hello,

Thanks for the answers.
A liltle bit more information about my data, they belong to 2 fungi of the same genus so pretty close.

To answer Doc ramses, I try to map to gene models that should be conserved enough. What do you mean by conserved regions ?

To colindaven, I agree with you about 9 being a lot, that why I posted my question. Apparently we assumed the 2 genesets are 15% divergent at the amino acid level. The assembly step before the mapping could be an idea.

I will proceed blastn analysis and let you know.

Thanks,

Emmanuelle
emorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
krobison

From the category Comparative Genomics in the Software Wiki:

LAST "Furthermore, when mapping Drosophila melanogaster reads to the Drosophila simulans genome, it increased the amount of correctly mapped reads from 49 to 66%"

DIAL "A computational pipeline for identifying single-base substitutions between two closely related genomes without the help of a reference genome."

I have not used either one.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote