Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbeitzel View Post
    I don't think balanced barcodes will work. The index read occurs after read 1 so the instrument will still have issues calling clusters.

I am doing some tag sequencing that requires a custom library prep protocol, and I have the same issue with homogeneous nucleotides for the first 10 bases of read 1. Illumina tech support recommended adding a stretch of 12 Ns (not 6) right after the read 1 primer binding site. It seems like that would be fairly straightforward to add to primers for amplicon sequencing.

I am pretty sure (but don't quote me on this) that you can specify indeces of different lengths on the sample sheet. I think that the 2 index reads use a 6 base and a 7 base index.
    Hi bbeitzel,

Do you mean to add 12 degenerated nucleotides to the 5' end of gene specific primer? Thanks.

Jim

Comment

Hi!

I am doing some similar sequencing - 30 samples of 1 amplified region. I was wondering if anyone has a citation or comment on what level is the limit for assigning taxonomy to 100 bp sequences from bacterial 16S (V4) amplicons?

Thank you in advance,
      Molli

Comment

groad,

If you have incorporated the Illumina-specific sequences (sequence read primer binding sites, bridge PCR sequences, index read primer site) into your primers, then the 12 Ns would come between the Illumina stuff and the gene-specific sequence. If you are adding the Illumina adapters after PCR (ie. running amplicons through the TruSeq protocol), then you would put the 12 Ns at the 5' ends of both PCR primers. They have to be on both primers since TruSeq will not distinguish one end from the other.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Apologies for reactivating an old thread. I posted a similar question yesterday and thought may be asking here may get more answers.
          I plan to sequence fragments ranging from 90 bp - 450 bp using Miseq as a pilot study. Per sample, I would have 2 amplicons. My PCR is a multiplex with > 10 primer pairs per reaction. I am completely new to this field and my theorising was to use the Trueseq kit, skip the fragmentation and end repair steps and proceed with the other steps. However, reading this thread may me doubt the appropriateness of that method. I am worried about suggetion to modify the PCR primers with an N sequence as this may cause mispriming in my multiplex PCR. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks a lot

Comment

Modulo any special issues with v2 hardware, the "spike in 50% phiX" seems to be a cure-all. Using v1 hardware we did a v3 loop sequence where the first 20 bases were 100% identical. But the addition of a genomic DNA library allowed this to work fine. So just use that method initially and you should be fine.

--
            Phillip

Comment

for diversity analysis of communities, using long primer constructs
              such as [P5][Seq Primer]NNNNN[Target Primer]
              revives the long-known primer bias (see Berry et al. 2011 http://aem.asm.org/content/77/21/7846.short)
              its best to design short, anti-complementary tags (the shortest the easiest to satisfy anti-complemetarity).

short primers + combinatorics + 1 lib prep => cheap solution

moreover, adding tags in amplicons make their first, hypervariable bases tobe sequenced in the first miseq cycles... => high signal entropy => good sequencing quality.

to be acounted: short tags will be in the sequences so you only loose few postions over the read length...

for all recommendation + how to avoid tags swiching cross-contamionations resulting (mostly) from the lib- prep: see Esling et al. 2015 http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/conten...ar.gkv107.full

good luck with your data!

F

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses