SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Evaluate the Illumina Data Quality? Godevil Bioinformatics 22 07-16-2012 11:39 AM
Quality check and analysis of Illumina NGS data subuhikhan General 1 02-29-2012 02:23 PM
SliderII: High Quality SNP Calling Using Illumina Data at Shallow Coverage nmalhis Bioinformatics 10 10-09-2011 11:49 PM
Fastx Toolkit for Quality Stats of data from new illumina pipeline software vedbar Bioinformatics 6 09-19-2011 09:50 AM
New Paper: High Quality SNP Calling Using Illumina Data at Shallow Coverage nmalhis Bioinformatics 0 03-01-2010 02:40 PM

Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Cris

Post increase in quality over the first 14 in illumina data

Hi,

I am new here and I coudn't find the answer in the forun, so here it goes: As far as I know the quality of the sequencing is decreasing by the end of the reads, but in my data I have a increasing quality until the 14th base, than it starts to drop.

Why is the quality increasing? There is a explanation for this to happen? If you could point me to a reference that explains this would be great.
Thank you very much!
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
kmcarr

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22939
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Vinz

Yes, that is normal.
Why?
To determine Q values, they analyze some characteristics of the basecalls. With those characteristics they go into a table to make a Q value out of it. This table is derived from training data sets where they know the sequence. Now, for some reason they found out, that it works best, if they use different look up tables depending on the cycle number. That results in the strange picture of increasing Q values at the beginning of the read. Basically, the used look up tables max out at different Qs.
So far for a biologists explanation of whats going on...
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Cris

Thank you Vinz!
Do you have any source or reference that I can go to use on a presentation? This is a question that we are debating with other problems relating to a sequencing.

Thank you again!
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Vinz

Maybe something is mentioned here:
RTA Training video

And there is a document called "RTATheoryofOps" which describes lots of theoretical details about phasing, matrix, base calling... I can not find it online anymore. But your Illumina support should be able to give it to you.
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illumina, quality