No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Illumina Questions/Primer Design Help

Hi!

I've previously trawled through a variety of information sources and websites trying to understand which sequences/methods Illumina are currently using for single-index multiplex sequencing but I think i've confused myself!

Firstly: In-regards to the paired-end sequences (listed here: http://supportres.illumina.com/docum...enceletter.pdf) - how do these ensure sequencing directionality when the Rd1/2 sequencing primers will technically bind to both sequences due to the partial complimentarity. Is the sequencing reaction done at >60C to ensure high strictness such that full length correct-pairing is required?

I will be soon conducting an experiment requiring deep-sequencing. The product of my experiment will be short ~120bp ssDNA molecules resulting from the ligation of 2 60bp primers (one forward and one reverse). I was wondering if it was at all feasible to design these primers to contain Read1/2 tails - an opposing tail for FOR/REV. This would generate ssDNA molecules with the structure:

5'-READ1-N(120)-READ2-3'

Could I then just amplify these using standard Illumina PE-primers to include an index and the P5/P7 attachment sites?

Are there any special considerations for doing this?

Thank you for any help you can offer!!

Kind regards,

- K

Hi K

Illumina uses same sequence as primer for read 1 and read 2 but the trick is its orientation read 1 primer orientation is exactly opposite to read 2 primer orientation so it won't bind.

When you say sequencing reaction I assume you are mentioning base incorporation if it is so the no the incorporation won't happen >60.

In your case you can use the primers with illumina adapter overhangs to get amplicon product but the problem is it can't be sequenced on illumina machine because of their cluster identification algorithm. You need to have at least random bases for at least first 4 cycles. Better talk to them once.

Cheers
    Reddy

Comment

Originally posted by rajasereddy View Post
      Hi K

Illumina uses same sequence as primer for read 1 and read 2 but the trick is its orientation read 1 primer orientation is exactly opposite to read 2 primer orientation so it won't bind.

When you say sequencing reaction I assume you are mentioning base incorporation if it is so the no the incorporation won't happen >60.

In your case you can use the primers with illumina adapter overhangs to get amplicon product but the problem is it can't be sequenced on illumina machine because of their cluster identification algorithm. You need to have at least random bases for at least first 4 cycles. Better talk to them once.

Cheers
      Reddy
      Thank you for your reply

I do not understand why cluster identification algorithm's will interfere with this. My products will have the following structure:

5'-READ1-N(120)-READ2-3'

The middle section will contain different bases on each molecule.

I planned to amplify these molecules using primers constructed as follows:

5'-P5-READ1-3'
      5'-P7-Index-READ2-3'

The final molecules I would send for sequencing should then be:

5'-P5-READ1-N(120)-READ2-INDEX-P7-3'

Will this be a problem? Does this make sense?

- K

Comment

Which DNA polymerase is utilised for Illumina sequencing base incorporation?

- K

Comment

If each molecule have different sequence then it won't be a problem you can do this. I am not sure which polymerase they use.

Comment

Originally posted by rajasereddy View Post
            Hi K

Cheers
            Reddy
            That is incorrect. The Read 1 and Read 2/Multiplexing sequencing primers are different but share a common 3' end (~13bp IIRC). The common 13bp end is to create a Y-adapter structure during library prep. The orientation is not "opposite" as you said -- The only case where you would use a primer with the "opposite" orientation is during the Index Read, whose bases are directly upstream of the sequencing primers. This is clearly written in the Customer Sequence Letter, or you can just draw it out yourself.

@Kayleighepps: You should google the "GA Boot Camp" and look at the course that the Broad offers. It's for the older GA system but the principle is practically (almost exactly) the same.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses