No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16S Library Problems - Help!

Hello everyone,

I am trying to study the pig gut microbiome, utilising 16S amplicon sequencing on the MiSeq. After optimising barcoded primers for this and creating a construct at correct size (~300bp), I submitted this for QC. It has become evident that the adapter sequence is present in very low quantities (if at all) after carrying out qPCR.

In more detail, I create the construct using 2 PCR rounds. The first round are common read 1 and read 2 primers which add a section of the adapter sequences. The second PCR round extends out from this, utilising a common read 1 primer extension for all samples and a variable (barcoded) read 2 primer specific to each sample (4 cycles). I add these primers directly to the product from the round 1 PCR and carry out a further 4 cycles of PCR before cleaning up with AMpure beads.

I am confused, since a product is clearly evident on an agarose gel and also gave decent tapestation results. However, I have been told that sequencing these products will be useless, due to the very low qPCR reads. If anyone has any advice on this matter, I would be very grateful!

Cheers,

Joze

Do you think the first round PCR primers could still be present and shortening the amplicons made by the second round primers?
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

I have considered this previously. I did initially carry out a clean-up after the first round, but it was adversely affecting the final construct yield.

Since posting my initial question, I re-ran the reactions, increasing the number of cycles in the Round 2 PCR. I have re-submitted the samples for QC and (hopefully!) sequencing, so will update with the result.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Joze

Comment

I think your lower yield is a sign that the first round PCRs were contributing to the yield when not cleaned up. Additional PCR cycles should help if the second round primers are in excess and have a favorable Tm. The first round products won't bind to the flowcell so having some portion of them in the mix will only make quantifying more difficult but shouldn't mess up the good fragments. Good luck!
        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Thanks very much for your help! Much appreciated. Fingers crossed for the QC today...!

Comment

Were the primers HPLC purified? There are often truncated sequences that come along with regular desalt primers and that might not be giving you the correct adapter ends.

Sara Ahmed, PhD | Director of Sequencing | Cofactor Genomics
            3141 Olive St. | St. Louis, MO 63103 | tel. (314) 531-4647

Comment

Dear Sara,

Yes, the primers were purified by HPLC. I was warned that desalting wouldn't be up to scratch.

Thanks,

Joze

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses