Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete library prep degradation during -20C storage?

Has anyone experienced complete library prep degradation during -20C storage? If so, was the cause ever determined? Illumina RNA-Seq libraries isolated with Invitrogen size select E-gels and stored at -20C for 6 months in our lab completely degraded.

Haven't experience yet but I felt a library kept -20C somtimes looks having a bit lower concentration than before I kept it in -20.

Actually Truseq library prep kit recommends "no more than one week storage between procedures". I really wonder whether this mention is for "degradation problem" or not. In my mind, it shouldn't be degradaded as it is just a nucleotide.

Comment

Hi Jerry,
      Any chance this was a "Frost Free" freezer you had the samples in? Also, what assay did you use to determine that the library had "completely degraded"? Bioanalyzer chip or something else? Also, what does "completely degraded" mean, specifically?

--
      Phillip

Comment

I have the same questions as pmiguel too, What do you mean by 'totally degraded' in the context? . I've sequenced libraries which were stored for over 3 months and everything was fine. I've seen a drop in concentration after long term storage many times. But they are never totally vanished.

@pmiguel, How would a frost free freezer make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by gogreen View Post
          @pmiguel, How would a frost free freezer make a difference?
          quoting the wiki, "In laboratories, self-defrosting freezers must not be used to store certain delicate reagents such as enzymes, because the temperature cycling can degrade them."

Comment

I had these very same thoughts. I use the Nextera XT kit and the recommended storing time in -20 freezer is only one week, which seems to be a very short time.
            Are there any other people out there with stories of degraded libraries after a few weeks-months in the freezer?

Comment

Yes, how you measured the "complete degradation" would be good to know. If your library concentration is really low or diluted that could be a cause. I've also heard of DNA sticking to tubes. Low bind tubes or tween should help with that.

- Genohub

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses