Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxford Nanopore @ ASHG

New thread started for ONT discussion as the old one was getting long. Also, GridION spotted in the wild?

Originally posted by twitter
    Roger Pettett ‏@zerojinx

Guess that ware! #ashg2012 pic.twitter.com/Umfu2chX

So it's not a hollow box...

A call out to all ASHG attendees to please document ONT's announcements and hardware here for the community not attending.

Is that sequencing cartridge actually connected to the rest of the electronics

Can't really tell from the photo.

Comment

Another twitter pic from Yaniv erlich ‏(@erlichya)
      GridIONs in a rack.

Comment

Another twitter pic from Yaniv erlich ‏(@erlichya)
        Touching a minION

Info from another person I know attending ASHG:
        No info on when for sale or price. Essentially error free to 10 kb - not sure I heard that right. No data to release. Just starting early access program.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Getting the same vibe from following other Twitter accounts - no data yet.

On the other hand, they are doing some cheeky marketing:

(that is the Ion Torrent Bus!) (Photo from: @NeonAardvar on Twitter)
          Last edited by Nanoporous; 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Joshua Randall ‏@joshulux
            Single-use MinION from Oxford Nanopore will cost ~$1000 and yield ~10Gbases in 6 hours with reads up to 40kb.

Comment

Yaniv erlich ‏@erlichya
              Based on oxford nanopore representative explanations, here is a technical annotation of the MinIon picture #ashg2012

Comment

Einstein Epigenomics Einstein Epigenomics ‏@EpgntxEinstein
                Oxford Nanopore powered up #ASHG2012

Comment

Good blog post toning down the hype over at mikethemadbiologist's page

Comment

Anyone can put a plexiglass top on a microATX case full of wires...Mike's post reflects my own opinions, I HOPE this isn't all just marketing. But it's really hard to not yell bull**** if they're not going to release data or show these things actually *doing* something.

Comment

"wait for Nanopore’s sequencing data has been like waiting for Godot"

Comment

Good article

Chief Executive Officer Gordon Sanghera spent some time telling me how the technology could tag proteins or microRNA with specially-made DNA strands and be used for detection, but he wouldn’t say a word about the company’s timeline for DNA sequencing. Instead, he urged patience. “What we said at AGBT, we will make good.”
                        I thought they said beta units would be out by September or October and they'd go on sale in December. It'd be a lot easier to be patient if they spared us the dog and pony show and just delivered.

Comment

GridIron

Hmm. My XBox 360 looks a lot like that.....

Comment

Overall my conversation was pretty disappointing as far as new info (although the gentleman I talked to resisted a pretty good grilling from me and a 454/Roche product manager).

Points from my conversation that I can remember...
                            • GridION == "4-5x more sensors" than the MinION (no comparative runtime specs).
                            • GridION can sip from a 96 well plate full of samples (this was demo'd as a flat bottom black microtiter plate with no septa...hmmm).
                            • Acquisition speed == "bases per second".
                            • The above picture suggesting sample prep is just a "10bp overhang" is not correct and not confirmed
                            • The prototypes of the MinION ended up much larger than shown at AGBT due to heat issues (had to "add fans").
                            • They will not confirm which gating protein (exo or phi29) or which pore (mspA or a-HL), but that the gate protein is not covalently coupled to the pore. (which strongly suggests to me that it is phi29...the exo-release method would undoubtedly need exquisite positioning for efficient detection)
                            • According to the CEO, the DNA input concentration is "nanomolar". This makes sense to be given the binding kinetics of phi29 to it's binding site...but translates into high concentrations for a single molecule platform. When questioned about the possibility of doing very dilute samples where all the molecules matter, he suggested some method of on-chip enrichment/concentration (?????).
                            • They are cagey about data release because they want to (my paraphasing) "release data when it's ready"

Anyway, that's all I got. The ratio of ([booth girls] + [Apple-esque brushed aluminum] + [blinky lights]) to (data) was undefined...so that seems to speak for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
                              The ratio of ([booth girls] + [Apple-esque brushed aluminum] + [blinky lights]) to (data) was undefined...
                              Since data = 0, don't you mean infinite?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses