SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARGOT2: a new tool for function annotation enrico Bioinformatics 4 04-02-2012 02:31 AM
RATT annotation tool help Bgansw Bioinformatics 0 02-02-2012 06:10 PM
Small RNA library annotation tool? vebaev Bioinformatics 3 08-05-2011 12:28 AM
Suggest a dbSNP annotation and cSNP prediction tool vishakha.more17 Bioinformatics 1 03-14-2011 10:42 AM
PubMed: PositionMatcher: A Fast Custom-Annotation Tool for Short DNA Sequences. Newsbot! Literature Watch 1 02-28-2011 09:00 AM

Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
NicoBxl
not just another member

Question comparative annotation tool

Hi,

I've a newly sequenced genome and an annotated genome from a very related species.

I'm looking for a way to annotate the newly sequenced genome from the annotated one. So I thought that comparative genomics was a good idea. Anyone know a good program to do this ?

Another idea is to take all the gene sequence ( only the CDS ? ) and align them on the newly sequenced genome to find the ortholog genes ..

Thanks in advance,

N.
NicoBxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
shandley

It might depend on how big your genome is. Have you sequenced a large eukaryotic genome, or are you working with a smaller bacterial or viral genome.

I have used MAUVE to aid in this type of thing (http://gel.ahabs.wisc.edu/mauve/). It will at least give you a roadmap to work with, but might not be as automated as what you are looking for.

Similarly if you are working with a smallish genome the Artemis / ACT (http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/act/) set of tools might be of some use.

There is an interesting tool called the GATU (Genome Analysis Transfer Utility) which is designed for large DNA genomes. I am not sure if it could be used for viral genomes, but it is an interesting approach and worth taking a look at. Chris Upton hosts it as well as other resources at http://athena.bioc.uvic.ca/.

SAH
shandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
NicoBxl
not just another member

I'm working on large genome ( Bos Taurus ).

I'll test GATU
NicoBxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
shandley

I would be surprised if GATU worked out of the box for a genome of that size. I was recommending it more as a concept than a true solution. It may be possible to replicate what GATU does or find another tool that handles larger data sets.

But it never hurts to try! You could always break your data down into smaller chunks. The largest sequence I have ever put into it was around 160K.

Good luck!

SAH
shandley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, comparative, genomics