SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QDD, a free software to analyze microsatellites from NGS data martinjf Bioinformatics 3 07-31-2019 01:36 AM
TCGA data access mathew Bioinformatics 1 03-27-2014 10:51 AM
what is the best software to use to analyze illumina NGS data? bbsinfo Illumina/Solexa 3 08-21-2013 05:48 AM
Open access sequencing data gabbagabba General 1 04-17-2012 10:17 PM
GPU/Cluster/Server based systems for NGS PratikC Bioinformatics 17 09-15-2011 03:40 AM

Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
vifehe

Default is it possible to analyze NGS data without access to a server????

Hi everyone,

Currently I am not affiliated to any institution so I do not have access to any server, but I have access to some 454-NGS data which I would like to analyze to get my hands a bit on this field, as I am completely new in this.

The initial objective is to look for markers, microsats, but I thought that I could also try to do some assembling of the runs.

Can any of you give some reccomendations on computer characteristics that I should try to minimum have?? Like RAM, CPU, processor, ...

I am aware that if I finally run the analysis on a laptop or stationary computer (without access to server) it might take ages. Alternatively, does anyone know if a particular person can hire server space? and how much would that cost??

I'll be greatly thankful to any suggestions received
vifehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
westerman
Rick Westerman

While I do not use it myself, several packages (including Galaxy) run on the Amazon cloud. I suggest searching this forum for AWS or Amazon.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

Galaxy also has a public server. It can be slow for your particular analysis to move through the queue, but it should have the tools you need.

https://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/
Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
lh3

How many data do you have? What analysis do you want to do?
lh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
jparsons

Until you're dealing with multiple runs worth of data, you're fine on a 'regular' machine, supposing it has a good amount (16+gb) of ram. There are only a few things that won't run on such a machine overnight. If you're just trying to get some hands-on experience 'doing' the analysis, you don't need to be using a massive stack of data, and if you don't like how long your process is taking, you can always just take a subset of it.

The processing of data doesn't change much (or really at all, most of the time) on the user side when you scale it up. The analysis and results are affected by the changes, however.
jparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
NextGenSeq

454 data is small compared to Illumina data. You should be able to analyze it on a desktop computer.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
kopi-o

I concur with the last couple of posts - there is little that you can't do with a desktop/laptop computer. Even assembly does not take that much memory if you use e g Minia.
kopi-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
JamesH

For microsatellite searching I can highly recommend the QDD algorithm, it doesn't use much in the way of resources and screens out potential multi-copy loci.
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
vifehe

Thanks I'll certainly have a look on this
vifehe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, ngs analysis, server