No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human contaminants in viral metagenome

Hello everybody

I'm analyzing three metagenomic samples from viruses extracted from river waters.

Before sequencing samples underwent tangential flow filtration step/ CsCl ultracentrifugation, Dnase treatment and check with qPRC.

In only one of the three samples I found a massive presence of human reads (around 80%, the other 20% were viral and bacterial reads), while very little presence was observed in the other two samples (< 2%).

The BLAST analysis of these reads usually give >95% identity against human.

Can anyone suggest me an explaination?

Thank you to everybody
    Last edited by fefe89; 08-05-2015, 01:02 AM.

Human contamination of environmental samples is usually due to improper handling when sampling or in the lab. It's common, particularly when high levels of amplification are performed due to low input DNA. Though if you sampled from a river where dead bodies are floating around I suppose the explanation might be different...

Comment

Uhm..a dead body... I actuallay found one in my sample :P

By the way, the thing I don't understand is that even if the three samples were processed and sequenced always togheter, only one showed very high contaminants level, while the other almost nothing.

Do you think it is possible?

Comment

What was your "check with qPCR"?
        It could be that high-human sample started off with 1000X more human DNA in it that the other 2 samples. Each purification step would have removed some of the human DNA, but not all.

What type of sequencer/chemistry was used?

--
        Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses