No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star with cufflinks

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to integrate cufflinks with star. Up until now I have star just for the alignments with chimeric searches, now I need to use cufflinks since searches for novel transcripts. I was told the two programs are used hand in hand. If anyone has any insight on this please let me know. Tried to search information regarding this but was unsuccessful.

Thanks,
    Nino

Hi Nino,

For non-strand-specific data, you need to use STAR option --outSAMstrandField intronMotif which will add the XS attribute to all canonically spliced alignments using their introns' motifs - that's exactly what Cufflinks needs.

For strand-specific data, you do not need any extra parameters for STAR runs, but you need to use --library-type option for Cufflinks. For example, for the "standard" dUTP protocol you need to use --library-type fr-firststrand in Cufflinks.

Do not use the option --outSAMattributes All, as Cufflinks (as well as many other tools) have compatibility problems with the latest SAM format specifications.

For poly-A+ selected RNAs, all other default parameters generally work well in our ENCODE experience.
    As always I would highly recommend using annotations for mapping.
    Also, --outFilterType BySJout could help clean up rare junctions, and --outFilterIntronMotifs RemoveNoncanonicalUnannotated will clean up non-canonical junctions.

Total RNA data is much harder to assemble with Cufflinks since it contains a substantial intronic signal. Please check this post, you may need to mask "complex" loci.

Cheers
    Alex

Comment

Hey Alexdobin,

Thanks for the info and help I was able to get it to work. Cheers!

Nino

Comment

Hi guys,

this is probably a good place to ask this question. But I ran STAR with that option to add the XS attribute. But when I run cufflinks I get this

BAM record error: found spliced alignment without XS attribute
        > Processing Locus chr1:2835641-2836005 [ ] 0%BAM record error: found spliced alignment without XS attribute
        > Processing Locus chr1:2882539-2882944 [ ] 0%BAM record error: found spliced alignment without XS attribute
        > Processing Locus chr1:3536416-3537049 [ ] 0%BAM record error: found spliced alignment without XS attribute
        > Processing Locus chr1:3537448-3539171 [ ] 0%BAM record error: found spliced alignment without XS attribute
        > Processing Locus chr1:3646678-3647038 [ ] 0%BAM record error: found spliced alignment without XS attribute

It does keep running, and the percentage does increase, but I was wondering if this behaviour is normal for STAR and cufflinks?

Comment

No, not expected. These errors are saying that the XS tag is not added. I've used this workflow as well and didn't have any trouble. Maybe STAR slipped up.
          /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
          Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

I've had issues with this version of STAR on my machine before. The option for writing out unmapped reads to fastq format doesn't work either, although theres a pretty easy workaround for that. I may try to reinstall it. Thanks.

Good thing STAR is so quick to run! If it was Tophat that did this, I'd have to set aside about a month of machine time to catch up!

Comment

Please try the latest STAR patch ftp://ftp2.cshl.edu/gingeraslab/trac...TAR_2.3.1o.tgz
              It supposed to have fixed the problems with the output of unmapped fastqs.
              I also checked that it outputs the XS flag. If it still does not work, please send me your Log.out file.

Comment

Originally posted by alexdobin View Post
                Please try the latest STAR patch ftp://ftp2.cshl.edu/gingeraslab/trac...TAR_2.3.1o.tgz
                It supposed to have fixed the problems with the output of unmapped fastqs.
                I also checked that it outputs the XS flag. If it still does not work, please send me your Log.out file.
                The unmapped fastx is working for me now as is cufflinks, it started working with the version I had installed though. Odd. Although I've noticed with the intronmotif option for cufflinks that it only works for me when it's very last option specified.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bob-loblaw View Post
                  The unmapped fastx is working for me now as is cufflinks, it started working with the version I had installed though. Odd. Although I've noticed with the intronmotif option for cufflinks that it only works for me when it's very last option specified.

Thanks
                  This is indeed odd. Could you please send me the Log.out file for the case where the intronMotif option does not work? It actually contains information about all parameters that STAR read from command line.

Comment

This is indeed odd. Could you please send me the Log.out file for the case where the intronMotif option does not work? It actually contains information about all parameters that STAR read from command line.
                    Here is the log file from one where the introMotif option does not work! Thanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bob-loblaw View Post
                      Here is the log file from one where the introMotif option does not work! Thanks!
                      Hi @bob-loblaw,

According to the Log.out, I believe there was a typo in your command line:
                      --outSAMstrandField introMotif
                      while you needed
                      --outSAMstrandField intronMotif
                      Unfortunately STAR does not yet check all of the input values so in this case the parameter just got ignored and the XS flag was not generated.

Cheers
                      Alex

Comment

Hi @bob-loblaw,

According to the Log.out, I believe there was a typo in your command line:
                        --outSAMstrandField introMotif
                        while you needed
                        --outSAMstrandField intronMotif
                        Unfortunately STAR does not yet check all of the input values so in this case the parameter just got ignored and the XS flag was not generated.

Cheers
                        Alex
                        Well I've never felt as stupid as I do right now haha. Thanks though!

Comment

I have made these kind of typo mistakes many times, and sometimes even had to run a debugger to figure out what the problem was.
                          It is high on my TODO list (though not on the very top) to enforce strict control of all user options.

Comment

Hi all,

I had an additional question.

You say that --outSAMstrandField intronMotif is necessary for unstranded reads, but what would happen if I used the option on stranded reads? I am hoping it has no effect.

Thanks.

Comment

I'd assume it would just do what it does normally except in the output the intron orientation would always match the alignment orientation. The intron motif and orientation is estimated from the genome and not from the orientation of the alignment. There should be a setting in STAR, however, to make it aware of this so it can correctly assign intron orientation to novel intron motifs...if there are any.
                              /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
                              Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses