Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastQC per base sequence content

Does it seems acceptable (Global GC cotent for the species = 40%)

<original link removed>

Last edited by analyst; 11-28-2011, 01:48 PM.

Can you attach it to the forum? That site is blocked from here. Also it would be useful to see the per sequence GC plot as well as the per base plot.

Comment

Originally posted by analyst View Post
      Does it seems acceptable (Global GC cotent for the species = 40%)

<link removed>
      Please do not use that host for images - it has NSFW content displayed prominently, and I have no desire to get sacked for viewing SeqAnswers links in an open plan office.

Comment

I understand and apologize. and thanks to the person moderating who posted image correctly

Can anyone please comment on the fastQC finding

Comment

I can't see an image reposted. The moderator only removed the original link. We still can't see your data.

Comment

analyst, you may want to look at the following website:

Introduction gives some general information on the FastQC algorithm. For specific information on the modules (what the developers consider as "pass", "warn" and "fail"), see under "Analysis modules" there will be some text files about each module and what their thresholds are.

This is a quote from the section on GC content:

Warning

This module issues a warning it the GC content of any base strays more than 5% from the mean GC content.

Failure

This module will fail if the GC content of any base strays more than 10% from the mean GC content.
            Does this answer your question?
            "Though it may seem that all's been said and done, originality still lives on" - some unoriginal guy who had nothing better to write as his signature

Comment

Looks acceptable to me.

What concerns you? If it is the low-level but periodic fluctuations in base levels across the read, that has been commented on before in another thread. There the period is three bases per cycle and more regular than what you see here.

--
              Phillip

Comment

Thanks for the comments orr and phillip. Consider me beginner, just wanted to make sure the peaks at certain positions is nothing to worry about. It is more pronounced in the second picture I just posted, at 43. FastQC is warning me but I am not reading too much into it.

Simon, can you see the new picture I just posted, if not, I am also attaching here.
                Attached Files

Comment

Okay, the new plot (the second one) is a different story. The G peak at 42 bases may indicate an issue of some sort.

--
                  Phillip

Comment

help with fastQC per base sequence content

Hi,

I am a beginner of RNA-seq data analysis. I did fastQC of my samples and I found some variations at the beginning of reads for per base seqence content check. would you please tell me whether it is ok?

Many thanks in advance!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stacy09 View Post
                      Hi,

I am a beginner of RNA-seq data analysis. I did fastQC of my samples and I found some variations at the beginning of reads for per base seqence content check. would you please tell me whether it is ok?

Many thanks in advance!
                      See this previous thread for a discussion of this phenomenon.

Comment

kmcarr,

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Hello,

I ran FastQC through RNA-seq done on ribodepleted samples and the per base sequence content and per base GC content shows a very heavy bias (If I am correctly interpreting the results). Is this expected in data from ribodepleted RNA. Can this data be used at all?
                          Please find the image attached. Thanks for your help in advance!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Aditi Verma; 02-15-2017, 01:52 AM.

Comment

@Aditi: Have you scanned/trimmed this data for presence of Illumina adapters? I wonder if you have a large percentage of adapter dimers (and no real inserts).

I recommend using bbduk.sh from BBMap for this purpose. Search for the thread on bbduk here.

Comment

Looks like about 20-25% of your reads are from adapter dimers.

--
                              Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses