SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Combine Nextera and Nextera XT in one lane remivarney Illumina/Solexa 1 06-07-2017 03:04 PM
Using Nextera Indexes with Nextera XT Kit Angus's Microbiota Illumina/Solexa 7 11-11-2016 11:06 PM
Microbial Metagenomics: Nextera. Nextera XT, or TrueSeq to run on HiSeq 2500? robotbanni Illumina/Solexa 3 09-10-2015 10:37 PM
WGS of ~200 bacteria: recommended sequencing type and size sebl De novo discovery 4 03-26-2015 03:04 AM
Help with Nextera WGS data aparna Illumina/Solexa 11 06-04-2013 11:30 AM

Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 AM   #1
thiNGS

Default Nextera XT for WGS of bacteria

Hello. I am using Nextera XT to do whole genome sequencing of bacteria grown in stress conditions/high concentrations of antibiotics. What I found is, even if I follow the protocol correctly, I end up with a lowi(ish) cluster density (about 140K/mm2) and also The PF and Q30 reads are about 70%. I wonder what i coudl do to improve both cluster density and reads quality. If you have any tips please shout!
thiNGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
JoeKutch

From your post I can't be sure, but it sounds like you're sequencing your Nextera libraries on a NextSeq. If your loading concentration is resulting in 140K/mm2 densities, you can start by targeting a higher density (generally aim for 200K/mm2) with the formula [your starting concentration] x (target density)/(observed density) to get a new concentration to start with. I.E. if I loaded a pool at 1.7pM and observed 150K/mm2, I would multiply 1.7*(200/150) = 2.27pMwould be my new target loading concentration. To play it safe you could target the low end of the recommended density range (180K/mm2) but that is your choice.

As far as read quality, increasing the density without overclustering should help. The other obvious improvement would be spiking in a higher percentage of an ATCG balanced genome library will also help with basecalling. Illumina sells non-indexed PhiX to serve this purpose, but spiking in something easily separated from your bacterial samples might be a good idea.
JoeKutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiNGS View Post
Hello. I am using Nextera XT to do whole genome sequencing of bacteria grown in stress conditions/high concentrations of antibiotics. What I found is, even if I follow the protocol correctly, I end up with a lowi(ish) cluster density (about 140K/mm2) and also The PF and Q30 reads are about 70%. I wonder what i coudl do to improve both cluster density and reads quality. If you have any tips please shout!
These two issues can have common or separate causes. To diagnose the issue it will be helpful if you can post run summary page (Reads tables) and also %Base from data by cycle plot of analysis page of SAV.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
thermophile

What's the %GC of these organisms? you may need to spike in a lot of PhiX(20%) if it's high
Old 02-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Nextera works well up to 75% GC and does not require spike in for increasing sequence diversity.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
thermophile

We've had poor assembly with nextera genomes above 62%, but decent assembly with the same genomes prepped with truseq.

I've never run high gc on nextseq, just have been told that we need to spike in at least 20% phiX (compared to 5% recommended for high gc on miseq/hiseq)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

My comment is regarding sequencing metrics. I have not followed up assembly stats.