Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water stress and Mycorrhization - Alpha diversity conclusions??

Hello all,

first of all I will made a brief resume about my thesis:
    I had 2 sub-projects, project A - abiotic stress (water stress) and project M - biotic stress (mycorrhization). I need to find the genes involved in this stresses but my question now will be about alpha diversity.

Project A - water stress - I had 3 plants growing in 1 - less water, 2- medium water and 3- full water. And then the mRNA was extracted and send to pyrosequencing.
    PROBLEM: Considering the alpha diversity, it has been calculated by MG-RAST and the number that in case 1, with less water, has been found about 40.000 different species and in 3, full of water, only 22.000 species, in 2 was a middle number about 30.000 species. Why this is verified? In less water were found more species cause the organisms in sample (soil and plant with contaminants, eg, insects) prefer less water? I dunno what conclusion should I write about it... any suggestions of reading or articles about this theme?

Project M - 2 plants growing: 1 is control and other is mycorrhized.And then the mRNA was extracted and send to pyrosequencing.
    PROBLEM: Considering the alpha diversity, it has been shown by number that in mycorrhized, were found about 65.000 different species and in control, only 44.0000 species. Why this is verified? It is normal that in mycorrhized has more species because of the fungi, right?

Thanks so much for the help.

Cool biology.

Not being an expert (or even a novice) in that field (and not being completely clear where the mRNA came from, the plants only or plants +environment) I would say that a reasonable start is to investigate the functional classes of genes that are activating under stress. You'll have to do more reading on the actual process, but there is a start here:

...and googling for "rna-seq gene ontology" found a ton of papers and tools.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
      Cool biology.

Not being an expert (or even a novice) in that field (and not being completely clear where the mRNA came from, the plants only or plants +environment) I would say that a reasonable start is to investigate the functional classes of genes that are activating under stress. You'll have to do more reading on the actual process, but there is a start here:

...and googling for "rna-seq gene ontology" found a ton of papers and tools.
      Thanks so much for the answer. The mRNA came only from root sample, but there were always contaminants. My concern now it's to discover why the variation in alpha diversity... not the genes but thanks anyway

Comment

We're getting pretty deep in this series of posts. You might be feeling a little water-stressed if you're still following along Mycorrhization and the modifications it forces on plants and their roots can have a drastic effect on an ecosystem (and therefore future sustainability, Biofuels, etc too many possibilities), And while those consequences are kinda scary, we don't need to go outside to find reasons to care about mycorrhizal networks...they exist in our very own soil you can check all the information through this https://linktr.ee/provistaplumbersperth site.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses