No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makeblastdb fail!

Hi!

I'm brand new at this, and I have been trying to use the makeblastdb command on TACC (tried both lonestar and stampede). I have the blast modules loaded. I have downloaded the protein sequences from the genomes of several animals from the NCBI ftp site and eventually would like to blast my de novo transcriptome against the protein databases for annotation purposes.

I have used the makeblastdb command before with no problems, but for the past two days I've been stumped because it is not giving me the correct output files even when i rerun a makeblastdb command that was previously successful.

my command line looks like this:
    $ makeblastdb -in protein.fa -dbtype prot -out Fugu.prot.db

instead of getting a Fugu.prot.db output file, i'm getting three binary files:
    Fugu.prot.db.phr
    Fugu.prot.db.pin
    Fugu.prot.db.psq

any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks!!!!

It is not the makeblastdb that is failing ...

A blast database consists of files of the kind you list above (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1763/). You are only specifying a "prefix" name for the database files when you specify -out Fugu.prot.db (the blast index files will have names prefix.phr, prefix.pin, prefix.psq).

"Prefix" is the name you will use for your database when you actually run the blast searches.

Code:
    $ blastp -query sequence.fa -db Fugu.prot.db -out outfile
    Last edited by GenoMax; 10-18-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

so for instance when I do a blastx after the makeblastdb I should do something like this:

blastx -outfmt 7 -db path/Fugu.prot.db -max_target_seqs 1 -query path/Wrasse.transcriptome -out Fugu_wrasse.blastx.txt

or something like this:

blastx -outfmt 7 -db path/Fugu.prot.db* -max_target_seqs 1 -query path/Wrasse.transcriptome -out Fugu_wrasse.blastx.txt

Thanks! as I said I'm really new at this. I really appreciate your help!

Comment

For ref: blastx application translates a nucleotide query and searches it against protein subject sequences or a protein database.

So long as "Wrasse.transcriptome" contains DNA sequence you are good to go.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
        0 responses