No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analysis of 16S data and a PC or Unix computer

Hi everyone,

I have got data for two regions of the 16S gene using Illumina MiSeq 2x250bp protocol but I am missing a large chunk of sequence from between the two reads. So there is no overlap. These reads have been taken from a mixed population. I don't want to have to analyse the two reads from a pair individually. Is there any way of linking the two reads from a pair together for data analysis? And what programs would everyone recommend for data analysis of 16S sequence for taxonomic assignment? I've been thinking about using QIIME or PANDAseq.

Also, would it make sense to generate a reference library containing just the sequence 250bp downstream of the two primer sites? The problem here might be that the reads are never 250bp long due to drop off in quality.

Thanks for reading and replying.

Stan

One I'd ask what primer set you used, and what hypervariable regions you cross. You could artificially insert NNNNNNN between the reads (A bad idea in my opinion), though really you might be just as well off taking the forward read and analyzing that (http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/conten...e2=tf_ipsecsha). Use QIIME for the analysis- better, more integrated pipeline for actual analysis, whereas pandaseq would just assemble.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses