Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should one instance of mpileup use a full thread? Computer running slowly.

Hey all,

I think my computer is running slowly and I have no idea why. I'm also sadly not wonderfully computer savvy so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this obviously. Are there some basic things to look at (if so please include commands to run if you know them off the top of your head)? In the past I've run mpileup on it and it usually uses a full thread and is fine and right now it's hovering at around 15-20% CPU by looking at it with htop. Thanks for any help.

Figured it out, good learning experience: I was using a bash script and piping the output of mpileup into multiple commands. I think it was splitting up the thread amongst all of the commands. Maybe that's not what was going on but making mpileup separate and then running the others has made mpileup take up a whole thread like I wanted it to.

Comment

Actually it's still doing it; driving me crazy. I'm running four instances of mpileup and each is using ~25% of a CPU, this computer has 64 GB RAM and 24 cores. Free -m shows ~50 GB RAM is being used. I have no idea how to make each instance use 100% of a CPU, if possible.

Comment

Have you tried using each command outside the bash script? or perhaps, use something like parallel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_parallel)?

I havent used it as such but I know a few people are implementing it in everyday scripts to pretty good effect

Comment

I tried running them stand alone and the same thing happened. One thing holding me back is I don't have any background or general knowledge in how memory works in general (of course I don't know it's a memory problem). I'm rather ignorant in this area. They will spike up to ~100% every now and then but then go back down to 15-40%. Right now if I do free -m I get:

Code:
                       total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
          Mem:         64399      54764       9635          0         86      51385
          -/+ buffers/cache:       3292      61107
          Swap:       123977          0     123977
          No idea what's going on, haha.

Comment

Your cores are probably waiting on the storage subsystem to deliver data. Unless you are using server grade storage/SSD's in RAID this is probably what is holding your system back.

Check on "these performance metrics"

Comment

In addition to the storage issue mentioned by GenoMax, the commands following mpileup may be the bottleneck if you pipe. Mpileup may be waiting for those commands.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses