Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplicon Sequencing & Reads Per Sample (Coverage)

Hello,

Is there a "best" way to normalise and pool amplicon samples to acquired even, or balanced read coverage. Otherwise known as getting the same "reads per sample" for each of the pooled samples? We often end up with stochastic coverage despite our best efforts. I'm looking for a better way...

Thanks,
    Andor

Can you add information about the size ranges of amplicons?

Comment

Hello,

For example, 16S V4: about 350 bp (total length). We are using the Earth Microbiome Project protocol.

Regards,
      Andor

Comment

Originally posted by cement_head View Post
        Hello,

Is there a "best" way to normalise and pool amplicon samples to acquired even, or balanced read coverage. Otherwise known as getting the same "reads per sample" for each of the pooled samples? We often end up with stochastic coverage despite our best efforts. I'm looking for a better way...

Thanks,
        Andor
        Don't focus as much on "same reads per sample" but more on "enough reads per sample" even if the sample-to-sample count varies.

When dealing with 100's of samples in a typical metagenomic experiment, individually quantifying and normalizing PCR products is unrealistic. Our lab opts for using Invitrogen SequalPrep DNA Normalization plates (https://www.thermofisher.com/order/c...oduct/A1051001). After running your PCR you dilute it in the SequalPrep binding buffer and add it to the plate. The wells are coated with something which binds dsDNA; the binding capacity is limited and your PCR products are theoretically in excess. After a short incubation you remove the excess DNA, wash and elute the bound DNA. Pooling is done as the eluted samples are collected. We do a final cleanup on the pool, QC, quantitate and sequence.

Real life experience -- the amount of DNA recovered per well is not what their spec sheet says it will be and we still may see variation of ~4-5X in the number of reads per sample (though not always this much). Also, these are pricey, about 110 USD per plate (a little over $1.00/sample). Even with these drawbacks it is a very fast and easy method to (somewhat) normalize your metagenomic libraries.

Comment

my facility has a capillary fragment analyzer (qiaxcel, ~$0.40/sample not considering machine cost). I pool eqimolar based on that, then clean the entire pool in a single spri cleanup. I'm generally happy if I don't have many samples with an order of magnitude more sequences than I'm aiming for. I didn't buy the qiaxcel and if I didn't have it, I'd probably do what kmcarr does. I totally agree that I'm concerned with getting enough reads per sample and don't worry about the few winners of the pooling lottery. I run on MiSeq so the few samples that don't get enough seqs can just be repooled for the next run.
          Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Sequal prep
            Clean up and normalize the recovery of PCR reaction products in one step with SequalPrep Normalization Plates. For use with 5 l of PCR reaction, extract up to 25 ng of products per well within a 2-3 fold concentration range.- For us

This is how we normalize.

Comment

Originally posted by acockburn View Post
              Sequal prep
              Clean up and normalize the recovery of PCR reaction products in one step with SequalPrep Normalization Plates. For use with 5 l of PCR reaction, extract up to 25 ng of products per well within a 2-3 fold concentration range.- For us

This is how we normalize.
              Yeah, I'm going to check these out...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses