No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in GC content between samples

Dear all,

I have a question about GC content in RNA seq. I know that it is not consistent between samples, and this is something to take into account while performing analyses. But why is there such a difference between samples?

I read through the literature, but the reason is still not clear to me.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Generally there isn't much difference between samples, but if you run into this the typical reasons are:
    1) Large numbers of differentially regulated genes, which will change the GC distribution of the resulting reads.
    2) Different kits used for different samples.
    3) Contamination in some samples.

Those are the sorts of common reasons you'll bump into, though there are likely many more.

Comment

I think rRNA often has a higher GC% than the rest of the transcriptome. You might want to check if that is the case in the organism you are working with and check if the % of ribosomal reads is higher in the samples where you observe aberrant GC%.

--
      Phillip

Comment

Thanks Philip,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses