No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Repeat Variant Calls

Hello!

We conducted library prep and sequencing with Illumina. During data analysis, bioinformatics claims that the variants for all 40 samples were exactly the same. The %PF was >80, % aligned was about 3.64 (read 1) and 3.54 (read 4), with a density of 235. Illumina tech support stated that the run quality is passing but what would cause the same variants to be called for every sample in the run?
    Last edited by larangela; 02-27-2017, 03:27 PM.

Perhaps you can give more details, like the sequencing platform, experiment type, whether the samples are from the same individual, how multiplexing was performed, and so forth? Also, why you expect only 3.64% of the reads to align, which is incredibly low.

Comment

The TruSeq custom amplicon low input run (from PCR) was sequenced on a MiSeq for various individuals. We used Illumina's library prep kit as well. The align % is very low which was the only portion that seemed strange, per the Illumina Scientist. I'm not quite sure what could have caused this issue but it's occurred in a couple of runs.

Comment

I would not use the data unless you can determine why the mapping rate was so low and ensure it would not cause incorrect results. Most likely, the samples were highly contaminated, which would also explain why all gave the same variant calls. I suggest you BLAST some of the 96% of nonhuman reads to public databases like nt and find out what they hit, and report back. Also, I'm glad it aroused your suspicion that all samples indicated identical variants; that does not usually occur outside of highly inbred villages, unless the variants are close together. It would be helpful if you could describe the methodology for variant-calling, and sample selection. Are the samples all from the same race, or same village? And how big is the amplicon region?

Comment

Originally posted by larangela View Post
          Hello!

The %PF was >80, % aligned was about 3.64 (read 1) and 3.54 (read 4), with a density of 235.
          I wonder if those figures are from secondary analysis. Those to me looks like the sequencing metrics reported by Illumina SAV. %PF would be % of clusters passing filter and 3.64 and 3.54 %reads aligned to PhiX spike in.

PS. Analysis can be done using the TruSeq Amplicon BaseSpace App or MiSeq Reporter TruSeq Amplicon Workflow (on the MiSeq).
          Last edited by nucacidhunter; 02-28-2017, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your responses! Those figures are from a secondary analysis derived from SAV. Our primary analysis is done by a qualified third party.

Comment

I wonder if you have run data through MiSeq Reporter as well and checked design manifest for accuracy of target loci.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses