Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable amplicon size for MiSeq, bias? Maximum size?

Hi all!

We want to sequence amplicons on the MiSeq to get (~200 bp) sequence of an exon of a specific gene. However due to variability we have to place the second PCR primer in the next exon, so one intron is included in the PCR product. As an added complication that intron is very variable in size, so the PCR products will range from ~500 bp to over 1000 bp. We want to sequence them only from one primer, as the 200 bp from that primer on are all we need. So I have two questions:

- Is there a maximum amplicon size? I remember reading someone on Sequanswers quoting tech staff with a maximum of 1000 bp, but I can't find anything official on this.

- If the long PCR products work ok, will there be a bias against them? I imagine the problem with long amplicons will be the bridge amplification. Can I expect longer amplicons do work less well in the bridge amplification, and thus generate clusters that are worse and are more likely to be excluded due to quality?

Thanks!

The short answer to both your question is yes.

Longer amplicons tend to flop around more, interfering with other clusters. 1K is the maximum recommended length according to our Illumina FAS.

If you are mixing short and long amplicons into the same run, the smaller amplicons will preferentially bind to the flow cell. You see this in libraries with adapter dimer - the small adapter dimer binds much more easily than the larger library fragments.

Comment

Is the maximum recommended size 1kb in order to avoid cluster overlap during bridge amplification? Have people successfully sequenced longer fragments?

The majority of my amplicons are between 600-900bp but I have some that extend to 1300bp. Will this be a problem?

Thanks!
      Last edited by saimonara; 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses