No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• increase in quality over the first 14 in illumina data

Hi,

I am new here and I coudn't find the answer in the forun, so here it goes: As far as I know the quality of the sequencing is decreasing by the end of the reads, but in my data I have a increasing quality until the 14th base, than it starts to drop.

Why is the quality increasing? There is a explanation for this to happen? If you could point me to a reference that explains this would be great.
    Thank you very much!

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Comment

Yes, that is normal.
      Why?
      To determine Q values, they analyze some characteristics of the basecalls. With those characteristics they go into a table to make a Q value out of it. This table is derived from training data sets where they know the sequence. Now, for some reason they found out, that it works best, if they use different look up tables depending on the cycle number. That results in the strange picture of increasing Q values at the beginning of the read. Basically, the used look up tables max out at different Qs.
      So far for a biologists explanation of whats going on...

Comment

Thank you Vinz!
        Do you have any source or reference that I can go to use on a presentation? This is a question that we are debating with other problems relating to a sequencing.

Thank you again!

Comment

Maybe something is mentioned here:
          RTA Training video

And there is a document called "RTATheoryofOps" which describes lots of theoretical details about phasing, matrix, base calling... I can not find it online anymore. But your Illumina support should be able to give it to you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses