SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heterozygosity and allele balance in NGS doubt marco12345 Bioinformatics 1 12-30-2015 03:51 AM
how to compute Minor Allele Frequency for a variant call? BhariD Bioinformatics 0 05-07-2013 10:50 AM
Plotting distribution of allelic frequency under different coverage values toots Bioinformatics 2 10-22-2012 10:57 AM
how does varscan somatic compute variant allele frequency? genomicist Bioinformatics 0 06-11-2012 03:21 AM

Old 06-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
Kulvait

Default Variant allele frequency or allelic balance?

Hi,
we are conducting some study of cancer genomes or their parts. We are studying clonality in single samples. We do a NGS and when we obtain a mutation, we typically observe it in 1%-100% of reads.

We are explaining our observation by the fact that cell populations in our samples are different and therefore we can have mutation present in say 10% of cells.

However the question is how to call that 10%. When performing analysis, this number is reported as Allelic Balance. But colleagues of mine tend to report it as Variant allele frequency. I feel that VAF is a term that is used frequently with regard to populations of many individuals and therefore I am unsure how to call the proportion of the cells (or alleles) in the sample that carry particular variant.

Thank you, Vojtech.
Kulvait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

I think variant allele frequency is the correct term. Variant callers typically use "AF" or "Allele Frequency", and it does not imply a population study, just the fraction of reads indicating the variant allele, regardless of whether they came from an individual or a population.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:36 AM   #3
Kulvait

I am not aware of any single variant caller that assigns to AF this ratio. I know that samtools do assign that as allele balance (AB).

Instead if you search for Allele frequency you get as a first result

Allele frequency, or gene frequency, is the relative frequency of an allele (variant of a gene) at a particular locus in a population, expressed as a fraction or percentage. Specifically, it is the fraction of all chromosomes in the population that carry that allele.

Can you please send me an example of variant caller that really assigns AF to this ratio?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
raimotanzi

you should try DEPArray sorting to isolate 100% pure tumor cells from even your lowest cellularity sample, fresh or FFPE. At that point your VAF will only display as 0%-50% -100% on the pure cells. You will easily detect LoH, CNV, somatic variants.
You could also try to sequence single cells, afte WGA.
raimotanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
jilguero888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulvait View Post
I am not aware of any single variant caller that assigns to AF this ratio. I know that samtools do assign that as allele balance (AB).

Instead if you search for Allele frequency you get as a first result

Allele frequency, or gene frequency, is the relative frequency of an allele (variant of a gene) at a particular locus in a population, expressed as a fraction or percentage. Specifically, it is the fraction of all chromosomes in the population that carry that allele.

Can you please send me an example of variant caller that really assigns AF to this ratio?
yes, you are right

Last edited by jilguero888; 02-27-2019 at 08:26 AM.
jilguero888 is offline   Reply With Quote