No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems using TopHat output in SAMtools

hi there,

I have run some RNA seq reads through TopHat and generated the 3 standard output files: accepted_hits.sam
    coverage.wig
    junctions.bed

Both the .wig and .bed files produce error messages when I tried to import them to UCSC browser - Have other people had problems with TopHat output in UCSC?

I also tried to view accepted_hits.sam using SAMtools, but had a few problems here.

I followed the following steps:
    samtools faidx ex1.fa # index the reference FASTA (no problems)

samtools import ex1.fa.fai accepted_hits.sam. accepted_hits.bam # SAM->BAM

here i got the following error message (repeated multiple times)

[sam_read1] reference 'gi|17981852|ref|NC_001807.4|' is recognized as '*'.

a bam file was still produced, and so i tried using it anyway:

samtools index accepted_hits.bam # index BAM

samtools tview ex1.bam ex1.fa # view alignment

-this just gives me a viewer with a blank screen

samtools pileup -t ref.fa.fai file.sam (all the other options i tried with pileup didnt give any output)

-gives the same error messge i had when i ran 'import'

Here is the top of my .sam file (there is no header it seems) - it all seems to be in order according to SAM file specifications.

GAPC:1:38:1386:252#0 16 gi|13626247|ref|NT_025975.2|HsY_26131 87997 255 35M * 0 0 TCAATTCCTTGCGATTCCATTACATTCGATTTCTT ]_aaa]VV]a_\`aaa`abaa`^aaabaaabaaaa NM:i:1
    GAPC:1:16:1046:505#0 0 gi|14772189|ref|NT_025215.4|Hs20_25371 27969 3 35M * 0 0 CACACCCAATATTATAACAAAAGATTGTAACAAGG ababbba`abbbbbbbbbbbaaMabaOabbbbb[T NM:i:2

Has anyone else had these problems? Any clues!!! Ive been struggling with this for days now

Thanks

Hi nat,

This might answer your question: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2183

The chromosome field is referring to contigs instead of chromosomes, which the UCSC Browser doesn't understand.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
    0 responses