Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paired-end vs. single end for differential expression analysis

There are a variety of posts suggesting either single-end or paired-end mRNA-sequencing is better for differential expression analysis. I have noticed many people defaulting to paired-end reads, (even for RNA-seq, without assembly), but the reasons are not clear.

Is anyone aware of work that has been done to robustly address this question (perhaps with Illumina)?

It would be interesting to know the differences in costs, relative to alignable bases, as well as if there are any benefits of one or another solely for downstream differential expression analysis.

I think there are a few reasons people use PE for RNA-Seq:

1. Most sequencing centres only do PE 100bp so there is no choice

2. Illumina pricing PE doesn't cost that much more than SE (changing with MiSeq)

3. Many people want to do DGE, but may want to also denovo assemble, where PE is better

4. PE reads might be more uniquely alignable to the genome than a SE read. And for DGE, that is important. However PE does not give more statistical power than SE, as all that matters is counting tags, and a PE reads and a SE read both count as a single tag.

FYI - for bacteria, we try to use SE 50bp for RNA-Seq, as we don't have isoform/splice variant issues, and 50bp is enough to map uniquely.

Comment

PE is also better in finding fusion genes.

Comment

50 bp single end sequencing

Hi Torst,

I see this reply of yours is rather old, but I´d like to follow up on this: do you use 50 bp SE sequencing for bacterial RNA-seq?

I am doing some bacterial RNA-seq myself, ran a few samples on MiSeq 2x150. I will now do more samples on the HiSeq, but not really sure that 2x100 is worth the additional cost....

Best,

Vegard

Originally posted by Torst View Post
        I think there are a few reasons people use PE for RNA-Seq:

1. Most sequencing centres only do PE 100bp so there is no choice

2. Illumina pricing PE doesn't cost that much more than SE (changing with MiSeq)

3. Many people want to do DGE, but may want to also denovo assemble, where PE is better

4. PE reads might be more uniquely alignable to the genome than a SE read. And for DGE, that is important. However PE does not give more statistical power than SE, as all that matters is counting tags, and a PE reads and a SE read both count as a single tag.

FYI - for bacteria, we try to use SE 50bp for RNA-Seq, as we don't have isoform/splice variant issues, and 50bp is enough to map uniquely.

Comment

I'd recommend SE50bp for most DGE experiments as they are cheap and plentiful. More sample replicates is better than more reads to estimate within group variability better. We have done work on this but need ot pull our fingers out and publish it.

10-20M SE50bp reads is what I tell people I work with.

Comment

Would LOVE to see the paper you refer to James!

Comment

If you are working on a well sequenced genome and can map to a reference, then there really is no need to do paired-end if your only goal is differential expression.

Comment

Thanks for your quick response, James. Thats very informative. Surprisingly hard to come by any clear advice or common views on this topic.

Looking forward to the paper!

Cheers

Comment

Hi- the paper that introduces RSEM (Li and Dewey(2011). RSEM: accurate transcript quantification from RNA-Seq data with or without a reference genome. BMC Bioinformatics. 12: 323.) suggests that large amounts of single-end reads are the best for accurate gene level abundance estimates. However, if you're looking at isoforms, they recommend paired-end reads.

Apologies for not linking to the paper, first post, not sure how everything works yet!

Comment

I have some data from PE Rna-Seq which was assembled de novo. When the guys at the sequencing centre aligned the reads back to the transcripts they just concatenated the fastq files together and aligned it as single end.

I can see this because I can see in the bam file the command they used to run the alignment. Does anyone know why they might have done this?

I have seen threads on here where people have suggested that if poor mapping is observed when mapping as paired end to try just concatenating the reads together and aligning as single end.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses