Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strand-specific library appears not strand-specific

I just received sequencing results of small RNA fraction (21-25nt) sequenced with HISeq and got puzzling results. Many of the sequences map to known small RNAs, but the mapping is on both strands, whereas the library was prepared as strand-specific.

Summary of library preparation:
    (1) Small RNA fraction was isolated
    (2) ligation to 3' adapter
    (3) ligation to 5' adapter
    (4) Reverse-transcription with specific primer
    (5) all other steps, finally sequencing of 40nt.

Due to the specific ligation of the 5' adapter to the 5' end of the RNA I can't see how the library has lost its strand specificity completely (about 1:1 ratio).

Has anyone had a similar experience with such lack of "strandiness" with strand-specific library?

Since this is a small RNA library that presumably includes miRNAs, one possiblity is that you are detecting the mature miRNAs along with the 'passenger' strand RNA derived from the pre-miRNAs. During miRNA biogenesis the precursor is digested in a small double-stranded RNA assembled into the RISC complex. Either strand can be used as a miRNA, while the other is called the passenger strand. Both of these can be detected in an NGS experiment. In many cases only one will be more dominant, but that is not always true. In addition, I have seens tissue specific differences between the levels of the two possible miRNAs.

I guess one way to determine whether this is what you are observing is to see how these map to precursor miRNAs.

Comment

Hi Scooter, thanks for the answer, although it doesn't explain what I'm seeing.

This symmetric mapping can be found in regions that not contain perfect hairpins (so mapping to the passenger strand could not be explained by sequence similarity), and moreover, in regions that do not contain anything that resembles miRNA and hairipin structures. Finally, I'm considering right now only unique mappings, so I don't think it is a mapping ambiguity problem

Comment

Any possibility of it being genomic DNA contamination? (That is, did you do a DNAse treatment of your RNA?)

--
        Phillip

Comment

Probably not the answer:
          1. The intergenic regions are pretty much clean.
          2. The sense to antisense expression is similar per gene, but is very different between genes.

Comment

Okay. That doesn't leave much. Any chance your data set actually derives from a PE run?

--
            Phillip

Comment

Don't believe so. I got only one file and read identifiers were unique without pairs.

Comment

That leaves only increasingly crazy possibilities. Have you done this sort of library prep previously and had it give you strand-specific results? Are you seeing the correct adapter at the 3' ends of your sequence? What species is this?

--
                Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses