X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no output yet...

40 threads, 800G memory.

Comment

I have a feeling the job is hung. Is this under a job scheduler? In my experience, bbduk starts writing output even when running under a scheduler right away.

Comment

It was submitted to a server with a scheduler, yes.

It's just odd that it's the exact same code and dataset, but the only difference is hdist=1...same set up with hdist=0 runs fine.

Comment

Are you able to ssh to the node this is job is on and see if the bbduk is running (something like top -H)?

Comment

Comment

The java process (should correspond to bbduk) appears to be sleeping (at least in this screenshot). Does it change back to R periodically or is it staying in S?

@Brian had talked about memory requirements with hdist=1 before. It may not be applicable in your case.

Comment

Based on a minute of observation, it appears to be sleeping, however the %CPU and %MEM change as I re-issue 'top'.

Comment

Based on Brian's comments, I bet I have run out of memory. My reference is very large, and a 3*K increase in memory would put me over my server capacity. I will try to re-run with a smaller reference.

Comment

Unless your scheduler is buffering the entire output in some temp location you should have seen trimmed files right away (have you ever looked before if a job does that)? Did you try top -H to see all ~40 java threads?

Based on your last comment that must be the case.

Comment

• reads mapped per gene

Hi,

can you suggest how to get raw reads mapped per gene from bbmap?

Thanks,

S.

Comment

• Originally posted by susanklein View Post
                        Hi,

can you suggest how to get raw reads mapped per gene from bbmap?

Thanks,

S.
                        Based on your other posts you appear to have discovered htseq-count and featureCounts. BBMap suite does not have a read counting program (though @Brian has one on the wishlist of things to add to BBMap).

Comment

• hi! is there a way to extract specific sequences from fasta file, regarding their positions in the file using BBMap tools? I know the numbers of their name lines and want to extract whole sequences to a file.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeanLove View Post
                            hi! is there a way to extract specific sequences from fasta file, regarding their positions in the file using BBMap tools? I know the numbers of their name lines and want to extract whole sequences to a file.
                            It is not clear if you know their identifiers (or just their positions). If you have the identifiers then you can do the following

By default, "filterbyname" discards reads with names in your name list, and keeps the rest. To include them and discard the others, do this:

Code:
                            $ filterbyname.sh in=003.fastq out=filter003.fq names=names003.txt include=t
                            Even though this example is for fastq files I am reasonsably certain that it would work for fasta. Make sure your file names end in .fa to facilitate that.

In case BBMap does not work you can try faSomeRecords utility from Jim Kent @UCSC which is described here: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64004

Comment

• Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                              It is not clear if you know their identifiers (or just their positions). If you have the identifiers then you can do the following[/url]
                              I do not know identifiers..

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                              In case BBMap does not work you can try faSomeRecords utility from Jim Kent @UCSC which is described here: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64004
                              thanks for your help, i'll look faSomeRecords utility up!

Comment

• If you know the sequence numbers, you can use getreads.sh:

Usage: getreads.sh in=<file> id=<number,number,number...> out=<file>

The first read (or pair) has ID 0, the second read (or pair) has ID 1, etc.

Parameters:
                                in=<file> Specify the input file, or stdin.
                                out=<file> Specify the output file, or stdout.
                                id= Comma delimited list of numbers or ranges, in any order.
                                For example: id=5,93,17-31,8,0,12-13

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses