Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qiime vs illumina basespace 16s pipeline, Which is better?

Hello everyone, we currently handle a 16 project which analyzed by QIime and illumina basespace 16s app. The results are quite different. I googled and didn't find any information about comparing those two pipelines.

For now, we found out that the reference(GG vs sliva) and similarity(99 vs 97) are different.

I am wondering that if someone had experience about those two pipelines could give me some pointers about other parameters of something else may cause the differents and how to troubleshoot.

Thank you in advance.

I've only used the Illumina pipeline once (for that matter I prefer mothur to qiime). The Illumina pipeline is a total black box, do you trust every decision they made for you but didn't document? When I used it, it seemed to just be a taxonomic matching against a database (blast? maybe) rather than OTU based

Check out the mothur miseq SOP for guidelines. Feel free to use my batch file which is based on that SOP https://github.com/krmaas/bioinforma...r/mothur.batch
    Last edited by thermophile; 06-23-2017, 10:44 AM.
    Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Originally posted by thermophile View Post
      I've only used the Illumina pipeline once (for that matter I prefer mothur to qiime). The Illumina pipeline is a total black box, do you trust every decision they made for you but didn't document? When I used it, it seemed to just be a taxonomic matching against a database (blast? maybe) rather than OTU based

Check out the mothur miseq SOP for guidelines. Feel free to use my batch file which is based on that SOP https://github.com/krmaas/bioinforma...r/mothur.batch
      Thank you so much.

Is the mothur the best pipeline currently?

Comment

Is the Atlantic ocean the best ocean? I don't think best exists.

I prefer mothur because it is very transparent with methods used and simple to install on any OS (there are a few scientific reasons I like mothur related to clustering 16s based on alignment rather than pairwise but qiime has incorporated most of those these days). I also don't like "pipelines" because that seems to be code for people who don't want to go through the bother of understanding how their sequences are processed.
        Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses