No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison between two indvidual tissue samples from RNA seq

Hi Everybody
    I have a question regarding the RNA seq data analysis in terms of the differential exon usage by two different tissue samples such as comparison between kidney tissue (RNA seq reads aligned to reference genome) and liver tissue. I want to look for the differential exon usage like if some gene xyz in kidney tissue using say exon 1 but same exon is absent in liver gene xyz.

I welcome all your valuable suggestions related to my query.

Thank you.
    Have a good day.

If you really only have 2 samples (and not, as in your example, say 3 liver samples and 3 kidney samples), then there's no reliable way to do that. You can certainly find differences between the samples, but you can't then know if those differences are representative of tissue differences or not. If you have replicates, just use DEXSeq.

Comment

Thanks dear for your reply and suggestion.

Okay, I also think that this is a good idea to consider the replicates of a sample but if I use the DEXSeq tool then it will only tell me about the variability among replicates of a same sample not between two individual samples with replicates. For example two samples with 3 replicates each, now the question is: Can it tell me the variability in terms of their "exon usage" between two samples considering all their replicates?

Comment

Yes, DEXSeq considers all biological replicates of a group in the comparison.

Comment

It sounds like you have paired samples (two tissue types from a single individual), is that correct?
          I haven't used it, but I think EdgeR supports paired samples.

Comment

@Jeremy, edgeR is intended for differential expression whereas DEXSeq is intended for looking at differential exon usage. You could use edgeR (or even DESeq) for this sort of thing, but it would take more effort than needed. DEXSeq uses a generalized linear model (like edgeR/DESeq/etc.), so it can also deal with paired samples.

Comment

The result of a differential expression analysis depends on what the input is, if it is gene level information you get differential expression results of genes. If it is exon level information you get differential expression results of exons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
                The result of a differential expression analysis depends on what the input is, if it is gene level information you get differential expression results of genes. If it is exon level information you get differential expression results of exons.
                Yes and no. If you directly used, say, edgeR without any modifications, you would have many more false positives, since most/all of the exons of a differentially expressed gene would show significant differential usage, even though this would be an artifact. One could simply write code to handle these situations in edgeR, but then you're mostly just recreating the wheel/DEXSeq.

Comment

Well, my point was that if he has paired samples then the analysis needs to be for paired samples, edgeR was just an example.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses