Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• count reads across exon junctions

Suppose I have a bam file of paired-end reads and a gff file for exon locations. Is there an easy way to count the number of split reads (which can be identified by CIGAR string) and the number of paired-end reads that overlap any exon junctions? Assume we do not have any isoform information here...

Thanks a lot.

I am also finding a answer to this question, i am working on single end reads.

If somebody know about this please help.

Comment

I think the question is not necessarily the right one. How do you know you've got your exon-junction-spanning reads spanning exons? I believe we usually align all of our transcriptome reads to reference genome + exon junction template, from which we can then reposition our exon-spanning reads.

If you haven't done that type of alignment, you may not even have your reads aligned correctly - but that would be incredibly dependent upon your aligner.
      The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by apfejes View Post
        I think the question is not necessarily the right one. How do you know you've got your exon-junction-spanning reads spanning exons? I believe we usually align all of our transcriptome reads to reference genome + exon junction template, from which we can then reposition our exon-spanning reads.

If you haven't done that type of alignment, you may not even have your reads aligned correctly - but that would be incredibly dependent upon your aligner.
        Sorry suninsky for posting in your thread,

I am having 454 exome reads aligned to ref seq using bwa to sam file.
        Is it possible to find reads spanning exon region?

Comment

Exome reads are usually aligned against the genome because they are captured from DNA, so, for the most part, you will not have exon-exon junctions in your data set. I'm not quite clear what it is you're asking.

You're probably best off trying to align as much as you cat to the genome and do your analysis on that set. If you're looking for reads spanning exon fusions, they'll probably be among the unaligned set, or if you want fusion proteins, you could use the paired end data to look for them.
          The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses