No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange problem for cufflinks

HI, all

I am facing a strange problem for cufflinks: Reads that are aligned to exons obviously can NOT be counted by cufflinks. Please see if you have the same problem when running the following test.

A simple test SAM file (htt.sam)
    Code:
    HWUSI-EAS623:1:91:16574:8737#0	16	chr4	3129018	255	40M	*	0	0	AGCTGGCTGCTTCTTCAGGGGTTTCCACTCCAGGGTCAGC	@BBBCE-EEEDGGGDDFGEFGFGAGGGGGEGGGGGGGGDF	NM:i:0	NH:i:1	XS:A:-
    HWUSI-EAS623:1:5:14642:7499#0	0	chr4	3129040	255	40M	*	0	0	TTCCACTCCAGGGTCAGCAGGTCATGACATCATCACAGAA	GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGFF	NM:i:0	NH:i:1	XS:A:-
    HWUSI-EAS623:1:27:15057:20736#0	16	chr4	3129048	255	40M	*	0	0	CAGGGTCAGCAGGTCATGACATCATCACAGAACAGCCACG	EAEEEEEEBEEEGEGEEEBEEEEEEFEGBGGEGFGGGGGG	NM:i:0	NH:i:1	XS:A:-
    HWUSI-EAS623:1:117:13132:3189#0	16	chr4	3129072	255	40M	*	0	0	TCACATAACAGCCACGGTCACAGCACACACTGCACGCGGA	@B@CB7EEEEGGGEGGGGGGGGGGGECECECDDD*BBBBB	NM:i:2	NH:i:1	XS:A:-
    Here is the GTF file (for test purpose, only transcript ENST00000355072 of gene HTT):
    htt_ENST00000355072.gtf

The reads in SAM file are obviously resided in the exonic region of GTF file (see UCSC screenshot)

However, running cufflinks command
    Code:
    cufflinks --GTF htt_ENST00000355072.gtf htt.sam
    will only give 0 FPKM value in the output file (genes.expr):
    Code:
    $ cat genes.expr 
    gene_id	bundle_id	chr	left	right	FPKM	FPKM_conf_lo	FPKM_conf_hi	status
    ENSG00000197386	3	chr4	3076406	3245676	0	0	0	OK
    I found this problem by double-checking the cufflinks results of a genome-wide RNA-seq analysis; HTT gene has well-aligned reads, but its FPKM is zero. This is not the only case. I am simplifying the problem here by only showing the part of SAM file and GTF file.

Thanks for helps ahead.
    Last edited by sterding; 12-02-2010, 11:03 PM.

I had somehow similar problem.

I had few thousands reads which fall on specific splice junction belonging to just one transcript.
    However, as mentioned above, Cufflinks was blind to them. The FPKM value was suspiciously close to zero for this transcript.

I reported this to Cole Trapnell few weeks ago. So far no response

If somebody know what is the problem I would appreciate such knowledge.
    Pawel Labaj

Comment

I'm not certain, but I think this is because Cufflinks considers 4 reads in total within a gene as below detection threshold. In cuffdiff, you can adjust this by the "-c" options, but cufflinks doesn't have this, probably because it needs a certain amount of reads to assemble transcripts and doesn't simply count reads within a gene.

Try running Cuffdiff with "-c 2", it should be able to produce an FPKM value then (which will be very close to zero in any case if there is only 4 reads in total). The default -c value is 1000, btw.

Comment

Thanks a lot, Tom

I am re-running cuffdiff using -c option as you suggested, see what FPKM it will get.

meanwhile, I checked the problematic genes; there are reasonable numbers of reads mapped with its exons (see below). Actually the signal is quite clear for me. I wish Tole can open an option for minimal number of reads in cufflinks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
          Today, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses