No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowtie2: running out of memory?

Hello,

I'm attempting to align 30 million paired-end reads to hg19 from a 50-cycle illumina run with bowtie2.

I'm doing this one a computer with 12 cores and 48 GB ram.

Code:
    [user@host folder]$ bowtie2 --dovetail -x /hg19/bt2_index/hg19 -1 219_0h_R1_val_1.fq -2 219_0h_R2_val_2.fq -p 12 -S 219_0h.sam
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
      what():  std::bad_alloc
    I also get this error when using -p 4

The sam files are getting up to ~ 7 GB in size before it throws that error and stops. Based on comparing the last alignment names in the sam and the fastqs, it's getting about halfway through the fastq.

Am I running out of memory? When I check my free memory during alignment, it doesn't appear that I'm coming close to running out.

Code:
    [user@host folder]$ free -g
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:            47         12         34          0          0          6
    -/+ buffers/cache:          6         41
    Swap:            0          0          0
    What can I do to get this to complete?

You may be running out of temporary disk space (/tmp) rather than memory. Bowtie and TopHat are know to need a lot of tmp space.

Comment

Hmm, I don't see anything in /tmp/ that bowtie2 is creating.

Comment

Originally posted by impeachme2 View Post
        Hmm, I don't see anything in /tmp/ that bowtie2 is creating.
        Is the job running now? The files may be cleaned up after the job quits.

Comment

Yes, it is running now, and there is nothing in /tmp

Does it always write to /tmp regardless if where bowtie2 is running from?

I've aligned to several genomes before with bowtie2, including human, and haven't had this issue.

Interestingly, when I accidentally aligned mouse reads to hg19 with the same alignment settings, it worked (though obviously gave low alignment rate).

Comment

I've also tried the same alignment with 5 computers of similar specs, with no success.

Comment

Interesting. So we can assume that there is nothing wrong with your genome index files.

Have you thought of checking integrity of your sequence file to see if there is something odd there. Simon Andrews had posted a script to fix/check integrity of fastq scores (or files, can't remember) here some time back. Or perhaps something like this: http://genome.sph.umich.edu/wiki/FastQValidator

Found the thread that has Simon's script (Post #8).
              Last edited by GenoMax; 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
              0 responses