SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
read number in fastq does not match bwa-mem produced sam file melis Bioinformatics 0 09-29-2015 11:39 AM
How to extract uniquely mapped reads from bam/sam produced by bwa-mem? Yamol Bioinformatics 11 08-14-2015 10:47 AM
tophat2 : Bowtie2 not found... bsmith030465 Bioinformatics 5 11-10-2014 11:28 AM
Read qualities in a sam file produced by BWA. north_zeb Bioinformatics 7 06-04-2013 09:36 AM
column meaning of hits_accepted.sam produced from TopHat jiwu2573 Bioinformatics 5 03-08-2010 08:10 PM

Old 05-24-2016, 04:02 AM   #1
meabh

Default Is there a difference between a .sam produced by tophat2 and bowtie2?

I hope this makes sense,

So I have a perl script that is written to take the accepted_hits.bam file from tophat2, in sam format as an input. Unlike the original paper, I need the unmapped reads as a fastq file so I'm using bowtie2 to map, as it has this option also it outputs mapped results as a sam file so I don't need to convert it. My question is do these files have the same columns or not? It would seem fruitless to try this if tophat2 and bowtie2 output different columns etc.

Thanks

Edit. I don't know how I missed in the tophat manual that you can use the --no-convert-bam to output the result as sam, which means I don't need to use bowtie2 instead

Last edited by meabh; 05-24-2016 at 07:51 AM. Reason: I didn't realise you could output sam file from tophat2 which makes the question redundant
meabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
Michael.Ante

Hi meabh,

First, the main difference is that TopHat2 is designed to detect and report spliced reads. Whenever there is s a read spanning two exons, you'll see that with TopHat2 alignment. The aligner flags that read in a certain way (e.g. adding the XS attribute). Also the NH attribute (number if hits per read) is set in TopHat2 but not in Bowtie2. Nevertheless, if a read origins from within an exon the two programs will align it to the same location.

In order to convert a bam file into a sam file you can just use samtools view. And to convert a bam file into a fastq file, you can use the Tophat2 script bam2fastx.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael.Ante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bam, bowtie2, sam, tophat2